AMA HOUSTON GIVES BACK (AMAHGB) is the philanthropic arm of AMA Houston.
Each year, AMA Houston distributes a minimum of one third of net income in the form of AMAHGB Grants funding marketing efforts of local non-profit organizations. The grant program has long been the cornerstone of this program.
In June 2017, AMAHGB will also award a $5,000 scholarship to a local undergraduate marketing student. The scholarship will help offset the cost of higher education for an undergraduate marketing student with roots in or studying in the Houston marketing community. The 2017 deadline for application is Sunday, May 28, 2017.
The AMA Houston Chapter announces the naming of its annual scholarship program in honor of Penny Todd, a past chapter president and the founding chair of AMA Houston Gives Back, the chapter’s philanthropic arm that has donated over $50,000 in grants to help nonprofit organizations with their own marketing programs.
The AMA Houston Chapter Penny Todd Scholarship will be donating scholarships in 2017 to deserving Houston-area undergraduate college students majoring in marketing.
- Have a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or greater on a 4.0 scale
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university with a declared major in marketing, advertising, graphic arts, media or related field of study.
AMA Houston Gives Back scholarships will be awarded without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin.
Applicants are solely responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. All information submitted is confidential and will be reviewed by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the AMAHGB chair(s) and AMA Houston board leadership.
Students must submit:
- A completed application form that provides contact information, statement of financial need, grade point average, related coursework listing, volunteer/extracurricular activities and community involvement.
- An essay outlining career goals and/or reason(s) for selecting marketing as a career. Response should be no more than 750 words.
- A minimum of two (2) recommendations from qualified adults who are not family members but can speak with authority to the applicant’s attributes and character. Examples include professors, coaches, club sponsors, administrators or staff, clergy, community leaders, etc.
- Proof of enrollment at an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university.
- An official transcript provided by the school in which you completed your last semester of course work.
- Students are encouraged to submit samples of marketing coursework; for example, a marketing plan or campaign materials developed as part of coursework or through volunteer work. Group projects should be labeled as such and applicant’s contributions made clear.
DEADLINE AND DELIVERY
- Submit completed applications with accompanying materials online no later than the deadline specified at www.amahouston.org. The 2017 deadline for application is Sunday, May 28, 2017