Interviews for bankers and those in the financial industry are long and grueling. They generally consist of four parts: personal questions to assess your communication and motivations; behavior questions that ask you to draw on your past experience to assess your competencies; technical questions about your knowledge of finance and banking products; and the role play scenario in which your asked to play a banker and sell the interviewer something.
Mortgage Banker Interview Questions:
- What are some of the main responsibilities of a mortgage banker?
- What is the minimum number of applications you expect to bring in per month?
- What’s the best way to get a mortgage through underwriting?
- Do you have a referral base?
- Tell me about the relationships you have in this community.
- How will you help grow business in this community?
- Describe a time when you had to recheck your data to make sure it was correct.
- Give me an example of a time when you sold something to someone.
- How do you explain the mortgage process to applicants?
- Could you perform a mock sales call right now?
- What is your favorite thing to do? Sell it to me.
- Have you dealt with a difficult client? How did you handle it?
- How do you persuade someone if they are reluctant?
- How soon after a credit consent check do you initiate contact?
- How have you organized the work of a team to achieve goals?
- When you hit a dry spell and cannot make sales for 18 months, how will you handle it?
- What motivates you?
- Do you prefer to work independently or in a team?
- What irritates you about other employees?
- Explain a time that you took initiative.
- If we ran a credit check on you, would there be an issue?
- What can you offer to this firm?
Investment Banker Interview Questions:
- Describe a work or school project where you applied quantitative skills.
- What is the Price/Earnings to Growth ratio for a company whose stock is valued at $21 with earnings of .70 per share and growth rate of 10%?
- Identify a stock which you would currently recommend for purchase and explain why.
- What is your take on the current stock market? What factors are impacting the market and where is it headed?
- How do you stay current with trends and developments in the financial markets?
- What is our bank’s greatest weakness?
- Which of our competitors do you admire the most?
- What questions do you have for us?
- Describe a successful group project. What role did you play?
- Describe a time a group project failed. What role did you play?
- Share three examples of how you exercised leadership within a group or organization?
- Describe a successful presentation which you made. What enabled you to succeed?
- Describe a situation when you were confronted with several competing demands. How did you handle that challenge?
- Share a less successful experience presenting. What limited your success?
- What is your strategy when reviewing a client portfolio?
- How would you approach valuing a company which is targeted for an IPO?
- Share a situation where you tapped your persuasive skills to close a deal or prompt a desired action from another party.
- Why do you want to be an investment banker?
- What attracted you to this position with our firm?
- Which aspect of this job will challenge you the most?
- Where does this job fit in with your overall career plan?
- What strengths would you bring to investment banking from your previous experiences? Give me an example of how you applied each strength to your advantage.
- What were a few areas that your last employer said you should try to improve upon?