Want to beef up the skills section on your resume to make you more marketable to employers? Consider learning the following technologies.
Power BI is a business analytics tool developed by Microsoft. With Power BI you are able to do interactive data visualization so that the company can utilize data to drive business decisions.
- MIS 4397 Cloud Data Visualization introduces Power BI. The course covers how to use Microsoft PowerBI Desktop and the Microsoft PowerBI Service to create, view, and share data insights.
- Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning has courses in Power BI which you can access for free through the Houston Public Library. Learn more about accessing Lynda at http://houstonlibrary.org/lyndacom-linkedin-learning.
Tableau is another data analytics platform that is commonly used in the workplace. It helps companies simplify data into an easy to understand format.
- The UH RCDC provides free courses to UH students and employees throughout the year and has a course with Tableau. The course schedule can be found at http://www.uh.edu/rcdc/education/courses/.
- Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning also offers many courses on Tableau.
Python is one of the world’s fastest growing and most popular programming languages. It is a great language to learn because it is simple and easy to read.
- MIS 4397 Open-Source Programming introduces Python for big data analytics.
- The UH RCDC also provides free courses in Python to UH students and employees throughout the year. The course schedule can be found at http://www.uh.edu/rcdc/education/courses/.
- Codecademy, Udemy, and Coursera all offer free Python courses if you would rather learn at home.
SAP is enterprise software that allows business to manage customer relations and manage business operations. It is well known for its enterprise resource planning (ERP) and data management programs and is widely used across many Fortune 500 companies.
- SCM 4380 Enterprise Resource Planning provides hands-on experience using SAP.
- Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning has SAP courses as well.
R is a programming language for statistical computing and graphics. It is easy to use and the free software is supported by the R Foundation for Statistical Computing. You can download the software for free at https://www.r-project.org/.
- MIS 4397 Open-Source Programming introduces R for big data analytics.
- The UH RCDC provides a free course in R to UH students and employees throughout the year. The course schedule can be found at http://www.uh.edu/rcdc/education/courses/.