What is IT Audit?
Protiviti defines “IT audit” as the process of collecting and evaluating evidence of the management of controls over an organization’s information systems, practices, controls and operations. An IT audit determines whether set IT controls are safeguarding assets and ensure data integrity.
An IT Audit:
- Evaluates the systems and processes in place that secure a company’s data.
- Determines any risk to the company’s information and helps to identify ways to minimize those risks.
- Ensures that information management processes are in compliance with laws, policies, and standards.
- Determines any inefficiencies in IT systems and their management.
IT Audit Salary
According to the Robert Half Technology 2019 Accounting and Finance Salary Guide, the average salary for an entry-level IT Auditor it $42,230-$80,250. The average IT Audit salary for BBA MIS Bauer graduates in the past few years is around $61,000 per year.
IT Audit Certifications
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA): The CISA certification is offered through the ISACA and is designed specifically for IS professionals and IT auditors. Before you can earn your CISA certification, you will need at least five years of professional experience in the field.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM): The CISM certification is designed for information security managers and focuses on designing, building and maintaining IS programs. The CISM certification requires at least five years of IS experience and three years as a security manager.