Most interviews for finance positions will incorporate the common interview questions, but some will throw in some finance specific questions as well. While you need to prepare for behavioral questions, you will also want to practice finance specific questions to make sure you are ready for your interview.
Know why you chose to go into Finance and where you see yourself in the future.
- Why did you choose finance?
- What is the greatest achievement in your financial career so far?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Have knowledge of the market and industry.
- What are the biggest challenges facing our industry today?
- What does the market look like right now?
Remember Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the types of Financial Statements. (Corporate Finance, Commercial Banking, Investment Banking)
- What are the three types of financial statements?
- How are the three primary types of financial statements connected to one another and what do they tell about a company?
- How is a cash flow statement organized and what does this information tell you?
- If you could use just one type of statement to assess the financial health of a company, which would you choose and why?
- What impact would the purchase of an asset have on the three types of financial statements?
- What is Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)?
- What is working capital?