Many companies are now adding a case study component to their interview process so they can get an idea of how you think and work. These are commonly found in consulting interviews, but other industries can have case interviews as well. Case studies demonstrate an interviewer’s skills in analyzing and solving a business problem usually within a 30 to 60 minutes time period. The interviewer is not necessarily looking for the right answer, rather they are wanting to see how you think.
Technology case interviews will focus on technology. You do not necessarily need to know how to code or develop the technology, but you need to have an understanding of technology. The MIS coursework you are taking will help with this, but you also need to stay up to date on the trends in technology since it is a constantly evolving field.
Case interviews are not something you can just wing. Those who ace their case interview have usually spent hours preparing and practicing cases.
How to prepare for a case study interview?
- Research formats of case study interviews.
- Research the company, the industry, and current trends and events in technology.
- Learn and understand the different frameworks for case interviews. (Example: People, Process, and Technology (PPT))
- Practice, practice, practice.
Tools to help you prepare:
Deloitte also has a practice tool on their website. It will guide you through some practice cases. Just click on the “start” picture. (https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/careers/articles/join-deloitte-case-interview-prep-tool.html)
There are also many practice cases on YouTube that you can watch if you want to see one in action. Christine Wong, an Accenture Consultant, has some great videos on preparing and passing a technology case interview. You can find Christine’s YouTube channel here. (https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristineWong)
Vault has a good Case Study Interview guide as well as a Case Study Interview Practice guide. You can find them in the External Links section on Bauer Career gateway.
- Click on “Vault- Rankings, Reviews, Research” in the External Links on Gateway.
- Click on “Vault Guides” on the top right-hand side of the Vault homepage.
- Click on “Consulting” on the left side of the page.
- You should find both the case interview guide and practice guide on this page.