Here are the steps necessary to count an internship for academic credit.
Step 1: Secure the internship
- Please note that students that run their own business or are independent contractors (aka independent advisors, independent associates) do not qualify for Internships for Credit. Multi-Level Marketing roles can not be counted as Internship for Credit. Internship for Credit is based on Experiential Learning, where a student is receiving instruction from a supervisor similar to what they would learn in the classroom but in a work environment.
Step 2: Check your eligibility to see if you qualify for earning credit
- Must be a business student
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Internship hours worked must total at least 160 hours, 80 of which must be in the semester in which the student receives credit.
No Retroactive Credit: To receive credit for an internship, a student must enroll in an internship course prior to (or while) undertaking the work. No credit may be given, retroactively, for internship work undertaken in the past that is now finished. Contact a Career Counselor if you have questions.
Step 3: Complete Application Process
If you meet the eligibility requirements complete the webform at https://www.bauer.uh.edu/InternshipAcademicCredit/
Your Academic Advisor will check your eligibility for academic credit, and forward the form to the Rockwell Career Center. The RCC will review your application materials for minimum qualifications and inform you of your status by email. This process can take 5-7 business days when registration is open. You will receive an e-mail notifying you whether your application has been approved. If approved, the RCC will enroll you in the course.
Step 4: You must Pay for the Internship Course
The internship for-credit course is billed as a 4000-level business course.
UH Billing dates can be found here.
- Summer 2023 Deadline to fill out the webform to request an Internship for Credit is June 2, 2023 at 5:00 PM.
- Fall 2023 Deadline is August 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM.
Note: There is a late start option for BUSI 4396 ONLY.
If you miss these deadlines, please contact Zach Wortzel at firstname.lastname@example.org