Here are the steps necessary to count an internship for academic credit.
Step 1: Secure the internship
Step 2: Check your eligibility to see if you qualify for earning credit
- Must be a business student
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Internship hours worked must total at least 160 hours, 80 of which must be in the semester in which the student receives credit.
No Retroactive Credit: To receive credit for an internship, a student must enroll in an internship course prior to (or while) undertaking the work. No credit may be given, retroactively, for internship work undertaken in the past that is now finished. Contact a Career Counselor if you have questions.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, have your academic advisor fill out section 3 in the Internship Academic Credit
Step 3: Complete Application Process
If you meet the eligibility requirements, download the guidelines for your major, the Internship Academic Credit application form and the supplemental Unpaid Internship form if pursuing an unpaid internship. All forms must be completed and turned in at the same time as an application packet.
Note: F1 Visa students will also need to request credit for Curricular Practicum Training through the ISSSO website AND request to add the Experience Track to their Academic Degree Plan via General Petition.
Step 4: Email ALL the forms listed below to Troy Hopkins at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The application process for Internship Academic Credit requires the following documents be submitted by the application deadline.
- Job posting or offer letter describing what student’s internship duties will be
- Current copy of student’s résumé
- The Internship Academic Credit Form
- Supplemental Employer Form Required for Unpaid Internships (if needed)
An RCC Career Counselor will coordinate with your Academic Advisor to check your eligibility for academic credit, review your application materials for minimum qualifications, and inform you of your status by email. This can take up to 2 business days. You will receive an e-mail notifying you whether your application has been approved. If approved, the RCC will enroll you in the course.
Step 5: You must Pay for Internship Course
The internship for credit course is billed as a 4000 level business course.
- Summer 2020 Deadline to turn in Paperwork is Thursday, May 28, 2020.
- Fall 2020 Deadline to turn in Paperwork is Monday, August 24, 2020.
Please contact Troy Hopkins at email@example.com if you cannot meet these deadlines.