Here are the steps necessary to count an internship for academic credit.
Step 1: Secure the internship
- Please note that students that run their own business or are independent contractors do not qualify for Internships for Credit. Internship for Credit is based on Experiential Learning, where a student is receiving instruction from a supervisor similar to what they would learn in the classroom but in a work environment.
Step 2: Check your eligibility to see if you qualify for earning credit
- Must be a business student
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Internship hours worked must total at least 160 hours, 80 of which must be in the semester in which the student receives credit.
No Retroactive Credit: To receive credit for an internship, a student must enroll in an internship course prior to (or while) undertaking the work. No credit may be given, retroactively, for internship work undertaken in the past that is now finished. Contact a Career Counselor if you have questions.
Step 3: Complete Application Process
If you meet the eligibility requirements complete the webform at https://www.bauer.uh.edu/InternshipAcademicCredit/
Your Academic Advisor will check your eligibility for academic credit, and forward the form to the Rockwell Career Center. The RCC will review your application materials for minimum qualifications and inform you of your status by email. This can take up to 2 business days. You will receive an e-mail notifying you whether your application has been approved. If approved, the RCC will enroll you in the course.
Step 4: You must Pay for the Internship Course
The internship for-credit course is billed as a 4000 level business course.
UH Billing dates can be found here.
- Summer 2021 Deadline to turn in Paperwork is May 31, 2021.
- Summer 4 2021 Deadline to turn in Paperwork is July 9, 2021.
- (Summer 4 has very limited course availability. Please contact your academic advisor for more information.)
- Fall 2021 Deadline to turn in Paperwork is August 27, 2021.