Performs advanced insurance accounting functions. Provides technical and financial reporting expertise to staff and management. Works under limited supervision.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
Job Profile Summary:
We are hiring an intermediate to experienced accountant for Texas Mutual’s Financial Reporting team. Being the industry leader in Texas for workers’ compensation is the result of hard-work, dedication, and a commitment to our company values. At Texas Mutual, our financial reporting team does exactly that by delivering accurate financial reports to regulators and our policyholders. As an accountant, you will have an opportunity to learn and expand your technical reporting knowledge and accounting skills. You will also collaborate with a strong team with a proven track record of providing great service. Be a part of something big—join Texas Mutual and help fulfill our mission of creating a stronger, safer Texas.
Essential Job Functions:
As an Accountant, you can expect to:
- Complete journal entries by reviewing for reasonableness, comparing to source documentation, and providing referenced backup.
- Assist with preparing financial statements and regulatory filings on a statutory basis.
- Write reports that contain financial data to assist management in monitoring fiscal activity.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of enterprise financial systems and analysis tools, including Microsoft Excel.
- Input data into financial systems to create and maintain complete and accurate financial records.
- Explain material variances and discrepancies to management.
- Assist and/or lead ad hoc projects relating to financial reporting.
- Review work performance by junior accountants.
- Update management on accounting standard updates through writing memos and white papers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
Experience by level:
- At least 2 years for an Accountant II
- At least 5 years for an Accountant III
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the skills necessary to perform the essential function of the job.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles, methods, and theories and the ability to apply such knowledge in practical applications.
- Progress towards CPA and/or MBA.
- Insurance industry experience.
- Experience using Workday Financials.
- Day one health, dental, and vision insurance
- Performance bonus
- 401k plan with 4% basic employer contribution and 100% employer match contribution up to 6%
- Vacation, sick, holiday and volunteer time off
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Free on-site gym and fitness classes
- Professional development
- Tuition reimbursement
- Pet insurance
- Free identity theft protection
- Company-sponsored social and philanthropy events