This individual will support senior team members in developing and managing client relationships by taking an active role in developing, structuring and executing a broad range of advisory and financial transactions for our clients in several sectors. Associates also provide guidance to analysts and work closely with senior and junior team members in all stages of transaction execution including financial modeling and analysis, creating and preparing presentations and interacting with clients and various departments within the firm.
- Create and/or work with complex financial models which support the analysis of companies in particular sectors. This will frequently require creating detailed pro forma models.
- Assist in obtaining merger and acquisition (M&A) mandates, debt and equity capital market transactions and loans by leveraging the execution and lending capabilities of SMBC and SMBC Nikko. Support senior bankers in the origination of new transactions by preparing presentation materials, analyzing companies and industries and gathering necessary information.
- Support the execution of transactions by valuing firms, managing the due diligence process and preparing meeting materials.
- Assist in the establishment of the platform, including extensive (deep dive) analysis of targeted clients, helping create the databases and other information needed for the development and ongoing operations of specific sectors.
- Help coordinate internally with other stakeholders regarding client interactions, transactions and other internal approvals.
- Participate in client meetings and pitches. Demonstrate initiative and ability to contribute value-add information to the meetings, ie. valuation specific topics.
- Experience in technology, energy/infrastructure, industrials or consumer / retail related sectors is a plus.
- Outstanding financial modeling/valuation and analytical skill. Create and/or work with complex financial models which support the analysis of assets or companies.
- Excellent research skills and ability to prepare client materials and execute transactions with minimal supervision.
- Strong accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and perform cash flow analysis proficiently.
- Ability to prepare client materials and execute transactions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to organize thoughts, clearly articulate points, and provide summaries and explanations of transactions, verbally or in writing, to clients, management or other internal departments.
- Demonstrates a high degree of attention to detail and an ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner against strict deadlines.
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new processes and systems.
- Leadership skills (will assist in leading and training junior staff.)
Work Experience:2 to 5 years of specialized experience. Minimum 3 full years of experience at the analyst level in an investment banking group or other similar experience. Demonstrated ability of having meaningfully contributed to the origination and execution of M&A, capital advisory or strategic mandates.
Education: Required: BA / BS
Preferred: MA / MS / MBA
Licenses / Certifications / Registrations:
Series 63 and 79 required. CFA a plus.
Business fluency in the following language(s):
Strong written and verbal English communications skills. Spanish is a plus.
Software Systems / Programming Languages
Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint