Vertex is actively seeking a Cost Accounting Manager, to perform product cost and inventory accounting. This is a broad role with duties that relate to cost and inventory accounting valuation, reporting and controls for the Company’s products sold globally.
A successful candidate will have technical competence with U.S. GAAP for related responsibilities. Experience developing policies and procedures, within a robust control environment. Strong analytical skills, and the ability to work with various levels of the organization in support of goals and objectives. The Cost Accounting Manager will work closely with various teams across the global organization, including Accounting, Finance, Supply Chain, Commercial, and R&D Project Teams. This position provides exposure to key accounting and financial reporting areas, offering development opportunities that can lead to advanced roles within Accounting/Finance organization.
- Participate in the month end close process, including preparing/reviewing journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures with respect to inventory and inventory related accounts
- Assist with the coordination and deliverables for quarterly reviews and annual audits performed by internal and external auditors
- Ensures SOX Compliance in all responsible areas
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analyses and assist team with research on cost accounting questions and assist with special projects as requested
- Provide technical guidance, mentoring, and ensure consistent application of cost accounting principles
- Work closely with the supply chain team to understand production schedules, contracts, inventory movements and other supply chain matters in order to ensure inventory is fairly stated on the balance sheet
- Monitor, measure and refine KPIs, metrics and operational performance
- Provide leadership and take accountability for identifying and driving process and systems improvement initiatives
- Ensure global operational processes and transactional activities encompasses both sound business and financial sense
- Key Team Member and/or Lead on cross-functional projects and process enhancements
- BA in Accounting/Finance or other business degree; MBA or CPA preferred
- 5 or more years of progressive Accounting/Finance and/or public accounting experience
- Cost accounting experience in a Biotech or Contract Manufacturing environment preferred, but not required
- Thorough understanding of standard cost accounting principles including capitalization of variances, E&O reserves, and experience with standard cost analysis
- Structured, disciplined and organized; a systems thinker with demonstrated process improvement skills; proven analytical / quantitative skills are required
- Prior experience working with financial software such as Oracle EBS, or similar ERP systems is a plus.
- Strong/ Advanced Excel skills- Experience with reporting tools, such as Hyperion/Smartview, OBIEE, Power BI and Think Cell is a plus
- Business and financial acumen; willingness to have an impact on the business beyond the disciplines of cost accounting and finance
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral); communicates in a clear, concise and organized manner; listens to others to obtain information
- Proven experience building strong relationships with senior management, external providers, business partners etc.
- Can thrive in a matrixed, global organization and have the ability to work cross-functionally
- Prior success working in a high volume and fast paced environment with overlapping priorities and deliverables
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.