At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES is seeking a Development Engineer to drive solar PV, wind, and integrated battery energy storage system (BESS) project development across the US and Internationally, with the goal of increasing our portfolio of owner-operated commercial, industrial and utility scale renewable power plants.
The Development Engineer will work with a team to qualify new solar and battery storage project opportunities, perform technical due diligence on project practicality, and respond to RFPs from utilities, municipalities and others for the procurement of renewable energy. Project work will be focused on preliminary design evaluation, coordinating closely with the Business Development and Finance teams.
The successful candidate will have a depth of experience in the design, engineering and analysis of photovoltaic systems and battery storage systems, ranging in capacity from 2MW to 500MW. Experience in proposal generation and financial metrics for PV systems and Power Purchase Agreements is preferred.
The position may include up to 15% travel to project locations and partner offices, including international travel.
Business Development Support
- Energy production modeling for projects in development (PVSYST, Helioscope, Plant Predict)
- Battery dispatch modeling for projects in development (Excel, Matlab)
- Site evaluation (remote and in-person) for project suitability
- Project pricing and value engineering exercises with an Estimator
- Create preliminary plant designs, site layouts, single lines.
- Recommend primary project equipment (turbines, inverters, PV modules, batteries, etc.)
- Technical diligence for new project opportunities, assessing accuracy of third-party provided production estimates, site plans, product documentation and meteorological data
- Support for RFPs, Greenfield Development, and Acquisition conceptual design studies
- Development of technical deliverables for RFP responses and proposals, both by self-performing, and coordinating external consultants
Growth and Leadership
- Improve and develop processes for more accurate and efficient evaluation of projects
- Work with team on changing trends in project development
- Work on and expand vendor review and approval process, leveraging AES DE Procurement team
- Participate in AES DE’s growth planning process by contributing to process improvement task forces and other strategic planning activities
- Contributing to innovation
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, advanced Excel skills
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or equivalent technical field
- 2+ years of experience in renewable energy project development, design, analysis and construction
- Proficiency with common renewable energy system modeling tools and packages, such as PVSYST, HOMER, Helioscope and Plant Predict
- Proficiency with common CAD tools such as AutoCAD
- Proficiency with utility power systems
- Master’s degree in engineering (MS) or business (MBA)
- NABCEP PV Installation Professional or PV Design Specialist certification
- OSHA 10hr or comparable job-site safety certification
- SketchUp/Skelion mastery
- Spanish language skills
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee’s I-9 to confirm work authorization.