Full Job Description
CFA Institute is the world’s largest association of investment management professionals. As a global, independent organization, with a community of more than 175,000 members and 150+ member societies, we lead the investment profession by promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence for the ultimate benefit of society.
At CFA Institute, we care about our employees’ mental, physical, social, and financial well-being. That’s why we are committed to providing a comprehensive, competitive benefits package that offers flexibility to make choices that meet their needs:
- Health & Well-being benefits that are amongst the best in the industry with full comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision for employees and their family members
- Comprehensive Leave and Time Off plans
- A focus on Financial Well-being means that we stack our retirement benefits against the most competitive standards.
- Flexible work arrangements
- Wellness, Education, and Employee Assistance Benefits
Job Description Summary:
The Finance Business Manager (FBM) role is a key role in the effective financial strategy & management for one of our business units. This role will work closely with colleagues on a function’s leadership team to improve business analysis and better inform management decision-making. The FBM will help guide the short-term and longer-term strategy and vision for that organization by providing financial insight and direction to the function leadership team.
The FBM will guide the function through monthly, quarterly and annual reporting processes, such as budgeting, forecasting and planning. As the function grows and matures, the FBM will be a key player in the strategic investment vision, planning, and implementation process. The FBM will also represent the function within the Strategy & Planning team to advocate for reporting product and process improvements.
The position is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA and reports to the Senior Head, Strategy & Planning.
- Act as Strategic Partner to the function leadership and as conduit into the Finance organization.
- Accountable for the planning process that generates the annual work plan and operating & capital budget for the responsible function.
- Prepare forecasts, annual operating plan and annual multi-year strategy plan for the responsible function.
- Build and manage relationships with various business partners to achieve the highest level of client satisfaction.
- Completing FP&A analysis including: comparison of monthly results to plan, forecast and prior year, analytic review/variance analysis of all major financial reports, headcount analyses, capital analyses, including preparation of capital appropriation requests.
- Support strategic initiatives including impact on business, generation of financial models, tactical execution, and identifying and leading process improvement initiatives Manage meetings with senior leadership and closely collaborate with managers across the organization to train and verify the use of appropriate financial management and performance practices, including reporting tools.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field with 4+ years of direct FP&A experience
- MBA, CPA or CFA preferred
- Familiarity with organization behavior and accounting best practices and principles is extremely helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation are required
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel) is required, experience with Adaptive strongly preferred.
- Must demonstrate outstanding judgment and mature business skills with the ability to establish a strong rapport with senior management
- Ability to create new and unique ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit a plus
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism
- Fluency in English required
- Global cultural orientation and working experience preferred
- Very high level of organizational and time management skills
- Excellent consulting, problem solving, and analytical skills
Some global travel might be required; approximately 5 percent of the time.
- Strategic – Connects ideas, resources and processes, with an outside-in perspective, to define winning solutions; employs a broad, global perspective and digital mindset to disrupt and transform
- Courageous – Actively listens, asks questions, develops an independent conclusion and is willing to challenge the popular view for the betterment of the organization
- Authentic – Reflects one’s true self in all situations; clearly says what they mean and does what they say they will do
- Talent magnet – Understands a candidate/employee’s capabilities and matches those to the appropriate role/assignment; seeks out diversity of thought and experience; invests in development; mentors and coaches for success; builds and rewards high functioning teams
- Growth mindset – Learns and grows through experimentation and failure; embraces challenges with persistence and resilience; demonstrates a willingness to risk failure and sees it as a key learning opportunity
- Accountable – Understands role and takes full ownership of their own, their team’s, and the organization’s success or failure; achieves efficient, timely, quality results through the effective leadership of others
- Agile – Navigates complexity, challenges and ambiguity with confidence; creates an environment of learning to drive optimal outcomes; employs a continuous improvement mindset; encourages rapid, flexible response to change
- This job description is a summary of job requirements and duties and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all areas of responsibility.
You can connect with the Recruiter on LinkedIn.
If you feel this opportunity could be the next step in your career, we encourage you to click “Apply” and complete our three-minute application.
To stay up to date on current news and events, follow CFA Institute’s LinkedIn page.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. CFA Institute prohibits both discrimination and harassment with regard to all identifying characteristics: any individual employee, group of employees, or prospective employee on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, religion, creed or belief, age, marital or partnership status, marital or family status, care giver status, pregnancy and maternity, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, physical abilities/qualities, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, predisposing genetic characteristic, military or veteran status, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence or sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, infectious disease carrier status, migrant worker status, educational background, socio-economic status, geographic location and culture or any other basis protected by applicable law. This policy impacts all aspects of employment, including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, training, development, promotion, demotion, layoff, recall, furlough, transfer, leave of absence, and dismissal. This is a global policy that applies to all CFA Institute employees, regardless of location .