Associate, Innovation Banking
We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
As an Analyst/Associate, Underwriting, you will be involved with aspects of underwriting, managing and reporting on client accounts. Your role will include regular monitoring of a portfolio of Innovation Banking loan accounts to ensure compliance with all agreed terms, assist in the development of portfolio monitoring tools and databases to track collateral and borrower performance, analyzing due diligence results to assist in validating lending eligibility, and assist in the preparation of credit applications and other credit correspondence.
How You’ll Succeed
- Portfolio Management – Assist in the management of a portfolio of loan accounts while ensuring reporting requirements are met, financial covenant tests are completed, and comprehensive credit reviews are prepared and submitted to the risk group. Assist in processing client request and submitting reviews to the risk group. Coordinate and review loan advances based on borrowing base availability and compliance of documents submitted by borrowers. Assist in the development of portfolio monitoring tools and databases as well as support ongoing maintenance and updates. Monitor market trends and closely track the private equity, venture capital and investor specific industries to assess and manage risk.
- Management Reporting – Assist in the collection of information on accounts to provide management, proactively report on problems or issues, complete reviews and assist in the presentation of analysis on borrowers’ financial condition.
- Credit Management – Assist in the preparation of recommendations on credit submissions and investment proposals and presenting to senior management and answering any questions or addressing comments. Assist in the comprehensive due diligence process on live transactions, including collection and spreading of data, assisting in the preparation of credit memoranda and other credit correspondence. Assist in working with the Business Development team throughout the underwriting process for new transactions, complete credit correspondence, review documentation, set up reporting, etc.
- Client Interfacing – Assist in appropriately addressing borrowers’ requests in a timely manner and ensure that any related credit applications are completed accurately and in a timely manner. Proactively assess your clients’ needs and propose solutions to deliver to meet those needs. Provide continued partnership and support to your clients through understanding their goals and objectives.
Who You Are
Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
You can demonstrate experience with:
You embrace and champion change. You’ll continuously evolve your thinking and the way you work in order to deliver your best.
Your influence makes an impact. You know that relationships and networks are essential to success. You inspire outcomes by making yourself heard.
You’re digitally savvy. You seek out innovative solutions and embrace evolving technologies. You can easily adapt to new tools and trends.
You’re driven by collective success. You know that collaboration can transform a good idea into a great one. You understand the power of an inclusive team that enjoys working together to create a shared vision.
- Requires 3+ years of work experience, preferably in commercial credit analysis, commercial.
- BS/BA Degree in Finance, Statistics, Math or Economics; MBA a plus, CFA a plus
- The ability to conduct credit analysis to underwrite a capital call line of credit utilizing collateral, financial and documentary information.
- Understanding the venture capital / private equity fund ecosystem is a plus.
- Must be able to work independently and quickly gain a thorough knowledge of CIBC’s banking operations and processes.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills, and excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and facilitation skills to help lead meetings with clients, counsel or other project contributors or stakeholders.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and to work independently.
- Good communication, interpersonal & team skills. Comfortable with working both with a small, fast pace, fast growing team as well as in a greater, cross-border, multi-cultural team-based environment.
- Must be highly motivated, perseverant and resilient in pursuing objectives despite challenges.
- Must be able to collaborate with all related business partners internally and externally.
- Prefer deep experience from a large financial institution that has credit product offering to funds.
- Software: Demonstrated proficiency working with computers and Microsoft Office applications (specifically, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and comfort working with databases.
- Knowledge of SAS, SQL or other data management computer language is a plus but not required
- Have ability to travel as needed.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
CIBC has a strategic growth initiative focused primarily in the U.S. and recently completed the ~US$5 billion acquisition of The PrivateBank, a publicly traded commercial bank, as well as the ~US$200 million acquisition of Geneva Advisors, a private wealth management company.
CIBC’s Fixed Income, Currencies & Distribution group provides institutional clients in Canada, the U.S., Europe and Asia with a range of fixed income services including commodities, research, advisory, private placement, origination, securitization and syndication, trading and sales of fixed income, money market, foreign exchange index, metals and energy products.
- This role operates within a collaborative team-oriented environment with external client interaction and focus.
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit