Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com .
This position provides management support to the financial function for one or more states. Ideal candidate is responsible for supporting the business planning and reforecasting process, financial reporting and analysis; ratio analysis and operational metric interpretation; evaluation and modeling of new business opportunities; and collaboration with operational business partners on an ongoing basis. They will f unction as the liaison with state and/or line of business leaders on financial matters.
- Coordination and quality of financial reporting – monthly and annual reporting, business planning, monthly reforecasting, and analysis of financial risk
- Collaborate with business to understand key business drivers & operational metrics and deliver effective analysis of results
- Evaluation of new business proposals – financial analysis and modeling of proposed growth opportunities to assure financial viability using appropriate investment and risk appraisal techniques
- Provide financial guidance and serve as state/line of business point of contact for all other finance-related activities – rate cases, external audits, internal audits, financing activities, etc.
- May supervise other Financial Analysts
Other special projects and ad hoc assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on communication, knowledge sharing and team building
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong financial analysis and modeling skills
- Ability to recommend and implement process improvements, work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to work effectively with all levels throughout the organization and across functional lines to achieve business goals
- Knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (USGAAP)
- Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills
- SAP and Hyperion experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting or related field required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of financial planning and analysis experience required.
- 2 years supervisory experience preferred
- Regulated utility experience preferred
- CPA, CMA or CFA preferred
Competencies Prioritizes & Role Models Safety Self-Awareness Develops Talent Plans, Aligns, & Directs Drives Engagement Decision Quality
Join American Water… We Keep Life Flowing ™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.