The Virginia Retirement System’s (VRS) Fixed Income (FI) team in the Investments Department is seeking an experienced professional to assist with the management and oversight of the internally managed credit investments.
The FI team currently manages over $12 billion of credit assets in a combination of fundamental and quantitative, active and passive strategies.
– Develop and support proprietary high yield bond selection and risk model
– Participate in the portfolio management and implementation process
– Collaborate with all members of the fixed income team to help actively manage VRS’ internal bond portfolios, with a primary focus on the systematic high yield portfolio
– Implement systematic trade ideas and use market knowledge to inform and improve the internal high yield quantitative model
– Serve as an important contributor to the team by taking advantage of opportunities to make impactful investment decisions immediately
– Work toward taking responsibility for day-to-day active management of a portion of the portfolio or FI program
The successful candidate will be a team player focused on working in a collaborative culture within a small, close-knit team; growth-oriented with a strong work ethic and drive to be successful, self-motivated; interested in continued education and training sessions that are available to team members; desiring to constantly develop knowledge and skills applicable to the role.
Keywords: finance, data science, investment management, asset management, portfolio management, economics, statistics, active management, high yield, MBA, MS, BA, BS, Chartered Financial Analyst
The successful candidate for this position will possess the following attributes and qualifications:
– Bachelor’s degree
– Passion for continued learning
– Intermediate skills in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, R, Matlab, C/C++ or Java
– Experience performing an in-depth research project, examining and analyzing real-world data
– Experience with financial markets
– Graduate degree in econometrics, financial mathematics, statistics, computer science or another quantitative field
– CFA charter
– Experience with fixed income investments, ideally within the high yield market
– Strong knowledge of Python or another programming language
– Familiarity with Bloomberg, MarketAxess, and Blackrock’s Aladdin platform
Special Instructions to Applicants
Disclaimer: Applications of individuals who have applied for this position may be considered for vacant positions within the same job series, if the qualifications for the vacant position are met.
1200 E. Main St.
Richmond, VA 23219
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Do you have an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only);
2. * Do you have a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only)
3. * How did you find this employment opportunity?
State Recruitment Management System (RMS)
Agency Website or Bulletin Board
Job Board (Indeed, Monster, Dice, etc.)
Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
Newspaper or Professional Journal (Please specify below)
Career Fair or Job Event (Please specify below)
VEC (Virginia Employment Commission)
Radio/TV (Please specify below)
Other (Please specify below)
4. * Please specify the actual source from your response to question #3 above (Name of newspaper, Journal Title, Job Board, Career Fair, Agency Website, Social Media Type, etc.) If unknown or none, enter: N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
5. * Briefly describe your proficiency in Excel and ability to code in SQL and a math/statistics language, such as Matlab, Python or R.
(Open Ended Question)
7. Cover Letter