As the leader of rehabilitative care, Encompass Health offers both facility-based and home-based patient care through its national network of rehabilitation hospitals, home health agencies, and hospice agencies that spans 42 states and Puerto Rico. Setting the standard for providing excellent care, Encompass Health has earned its place among Modern Healthcare’s “Best Places to Work in Healthcare” and the Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” for 2021.
The Senior Compliance Auditor executes audits as a part of the Company’s compliance audit and controls program and executes audit procedures to assess compliance-related controls to safeguard company resources and ensures the effectiveness and efficiency of operations. The Senior Compliance Auditor, in conjunction with Compliance Audit Manager and other Compliance Auditors, makes recommendations for improvement of controls and processes to ensure risk management, control and governance systems are functioning as intended and will enable company’s objectives and goals to be met.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Supports the Compliance Audit Manager in strategic assessments of regulatory issues and risks.
- Places emphasis on financial and operational activities of the Corporation and its staff.
- Develops compliance audit programs.
- Performs quality checks of staffs’ and clinical auditors’ work to validate accuracy of results.
- Manages and conducts regulatory compliance audits.
- Reviews audits designed to promote compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Participates in preparing audit programs based upon the defined objectives.
- Executes audit procedures.
- Documents procedures performed and results obtained in accordance with Compliance Audit work paper standards.
- Identifies potential exceptions, exposures and opportunities for management review.
- Works with client management and staff to obtain concurrence on issues and recommendations.
- Knows detailed responsibilities required of position.
- Keeps updated and current (regulations, guidance, etc.).
- Understands and utilizes the company resource structure.
- Develops strategies and aligns work to achieve goals.
- Completes special projects and other duties as requested to support needs of organization.
- Networks with co-workers to share best practices.
- Actively participates in the creation/modification of policies and procedures.
- Organizes, plans, and manages time effectively to complete assignments.
- Completes mandatory training and courses required by completion date.
- Reports questionable situations, concerns, complaints or harassment immediately.
- Understands the role of key performance indicators as they relate to areas under audit.
- Develops accurate time budget/forecast.
- Implements and ensures audit work adheres to professional internal audit and coding standards.
- Bases audit findings on systematic analysis and the effect of the decision on the Company.
- Uses data to understand situations and negotiates resolutions that are acceptable to all parties.
- Participates in the follow-up process to ensure resolution of audit findings.
- Interprets the relative significance of issues needing resolution and escalates appropriately.
- Efficiently plans, manages and audits to minimize resources in audited departments.
- Works with team to develop annual regulatory compliance audit plans, procedures and standards.
- Develops audit programs to test current procedures in place.
- Prepares work papers to document audit tests performed.
- Audits medical records and billing practices to monitor compliance with applicable regulations.
- Prepares audits, studies and other findings for the Compliance Audit Department.
- Uses resources to effectively and successfully execute the responsibilities of the position.
License or Certification:
- CPA, CIA or applicable certification preferred. MBA or certification in health care compliance (CHC) a plus.
- A minimum of a total of 4 years of experience related to audit (preferred), health care operations and/or healthcare compliance required.
- Four-year college degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or health care administration required.
- Possesses an understanding of audit procedures and internal controls as well as general knowledge of federal healthcare programs, compliance issues in the health care environment, with specific exposure regarding healthcare laws and regulations.
- Working knowledge of auditing techniques and auditing standards. · Strong PC literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel, email).
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as computer/laptop, telephone, copy/fax machine, calculator, scanner, etc.
- Microsoft Office software, to include Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Visual acuity, speech recognition, speech clarity.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling exceeds these minimum requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- Oral communication, written communication, fluency in English, active listening.
- Information ordering, deductive reasoning, social perceptiveness, time management, critical thinking.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without continuous supervision.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable, and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to dress code including wearing ID badge.
- Adheres to Standards of Business Conduct.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and/or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This position will support cultural diversity by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.