Cox Media Group is seeking a Sr. Analyst, FP&A to join our storied, 122-year-old media organization, now backed by one of the world’s leading private equity firms in Apollo Global Management. We share a belief that local media is an essential contributor to a healthy and informed community, and together we’re poised to blaze a new trail, investing in growth to build the future of the industry around our dozens of beloved consumer brands including WSB-TV ABC Channel 2 and B98.5 FM.
Effective October 1, 2021, all newly hired CMG employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. CMG will provide reasonable accommodations as required by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
The Sr. Analyst will play a key role on our 8-person Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) team, offering analytical support and strategic thought partnership to senior leaders throughout the company while also managing the financial planning process for CMG’s 20 television markets, 11 radio markets, associated digital properties, and corporate functions.
In addition, the Sr. Analyst will participate in business development activities such as valuation of new business opportunities and support for pre-merger diligence/post-merger integration, as required. He or she will help to assess the team’s existing tools and processes, make recommendations for improvement, and work with stakeholders including the CMG Business Intelligence and Enterprise Accounting teams to execute on selected initiatives.
As an Apollo portfolio company, CMG is led by an executive team that places tremendous emphasis on driving value through data and analytics, offering high visibility and direct access to the C-suite and our private equity partners.
Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or another quantitative field with excellent academic record, plus 2-3 years excelling in a corporate finance, management consulting, investment banking, equity research, Big 4 public accounting, or other highly-demanding quantitative role.
We are seeking a candidate with a high level of intellectual curiosity, outstanding work ethic, strong attention to detail, and a continuous improvement mindset. Someone who is proactive, organized, resourceful, and determined to succeed. He or she should be an expert in Microsoft Excel, knowledgeable in a variety of analytical tools and methods, and able to intuitively grasp complex business problems. Given that this role is heavily team-oriented with significant exposure to senior executives, a consistently positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication skills, are a must.
Prior media experience is not required, however applicants must have a strong interest in media, finance, and analytics, along with the ability, desire, and drive to grow quickly and become an expert in the industry and function.
Exposure to advanced analytics tools (e.g. SQL/relational databases, VBA, Python, Alteryx, Tableau Prep, R, SPSS, Stata), the latest BI/data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, DOMO), ERP/Planning systems (e.g. Oracle-Hyperion, SAP S/4HANA), and CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce) is a plus but not required, as are the CPA and/or CFA credentials.
At the highest level, the Sr. Analyst will partner with senior leaders throughout the company to provide financial and analytical support, serve as a strategic thought partner, and ultimately leverage data to drive business results.
More specifically, the Sr. Analyst will:
Become an expert in media, finance, analytics, and CMG business units/corporate functions as assigned
- Acquire and maintain a detailed understanding of data/metrics underlying company/industry financial performance
- Stay current on market conditions as well as industry/function news, trends, emerging technologies, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of assigned business partners’ processes, systems, data sources, and analytical needs
Lead assigned business partners in the monthly and annual financial planning processes
- Monthly: Assess financial performance, including drivers of variance to budget/forecast, and update forecast
Annually: Manage comprehensive planning effort to develop budget and update multi-year Long Range Plan (LRP)
Develop effective KPIs and scheduled reporting to drive continuous operational improvement
- With assigned business partners, co-lead development of effective KPIs, maintaining alignment to drivers of success
- Create and maintain dashboards to communicate financial/operational results on a scheduled and/or real-time basis
- With Business Intelligence/Accounting, ensure financial/operational data accurately reflect the state of the business
Perform sophisticated ad-hoc analysis to answer complex business questions
- Translate business questions and requirements into productive data exploration and analysis exercises
- Identify, collect, cleanse, and validate financial, operational, and external data from a variety of cloud/local sources
- Build detailed analytical models to identify valuable insights that impact leadership decision making
- Create and deliver executive-level presentations offering actionable recommendations to drive business results
Support ongoing corporate strategy and business development efforts
- Research/report on opportunities, threats, partners, competitors, emerging technologies, and other strategic concerns
- Value organic and inorganic new business opportunities
- Participate in pre-merger diligence and post-merger integration activities as required
Continuously increase efficiency and effectiveness of financial and analytical processes
- Develop and implement enhanced tools and workflow within and adjacent to assigned areas of focus
- Develop shared resources, e.g. documentation, training, best practices, policy, etc., related to assigned areas of focus
- Create and execute on comprehensive project plans, managing risks to consistently deliver top-quality, timely work
- Work independently/with minimal supervision on all level-appropriate tasks, leveraging supervisor’s time
- Complete additional duties as assigned
What We Look For
What You’ve Done
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or other quantitative field, with excellent academic record
- You’ve spent 2-3 years excelling in a corporate finance, management consulting, investment banking, equity research, Big 4 public accounting, or other highly-demanding quantitative role
- You might be familiar with advanced analytics tools (e.g. SQL, VBA, Python, Alteryx, Tableau Prep, R, SPSS, Stata)
- You might be familiar with the latest BI/data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, DOMO)
- You might be familiar with ERP/Planning (e.g. Oracle-Hyperion, SAP S/4HANA) and/or CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce)
You might have earned the CPA and/or CFA credential
What You’re Looking For
- An opportunity to positively impact communities across America by going behind the scenes (literally) to help build the future of local media, working with dozens of beloved consumer brands such as WSB-TV ABC Channel 2 and B98.5 FM and joining the rich, 122-year-old Cox Media legacy dating to 1898
- Rapid career growth including development of deep expertise in media, finance, and analytics
- Direct exposure to C-level and other senior media executives, as well as a world-class PE firm, early in your career
- A fast-paced, team-oriented culture that values working hard and having fun, but respects time out of the office
- Generous benefits including healthcare, 401(k), and unlimited PTO (at supervisor discretion)
- You might be interested in pursuing a top-tier MBA after spending time at CMG, in which case management may offer resources and support contingent on 2-3 years of outstanding performance (please note, this is not a post-MBA role)
Who You Are
-You are driven to be world-class at whatever you do
- You have a high level of intellectual curiosity and are happiest when challenged and growing rapidly
- You are humble with outstanding work ethic, willing to put in the hours necessary to achieve your goals
- You are detail-oriented, ready to invest in the small and mundane to achieve the big and exciting
- You have a continuous improvement mindset, regularly seeking out coaching/development opportunities and testing, documenting, and refining best practices over the course of your work
-You are proactive and take ownership
- You are a self-starter who is able to conduct day-to-day activities with decreasing supervision
- You are comfortable making decisions within parameters agreed upon with your manager
-You are highly organized and manage your time effectively
- You have strong project management skills and can unbundle complex tasks into executable workplans
- You manage processes effectively, tracking risks and asking for help when appropriate
- You use all available resources and leverage the time and skills of your manager, partners, and peers
- You understand the big picture and balance competing priorities accordingly
- You have a “whatever it takes” attitude, overcoming obstacles to deliver on objectives ahead of deadline
-You have excellent business acumen and a client service mentality
- You intuitively grasp complex business problems, quickly identifying the highest-value areas of focus
- You are excited by the prospect of partnering with senior decision makers to help drive business results
- You build strong, collaborative, trusting relationships and gain the confidence of others
-You are an analytical problem solver (you love data!)
- You learn quickly by applying exceptional critical thinking skills and an analytical mindset
- You have the ability to explore, understand, and analyze data to answer complex questions
- You take a disciplined approach to problem solving and can thrive even with limited standardization of data
- You are highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and knowledgeable in a variety of analytical tools and methods
-You have excellent written and oral communication skills along with “senior presence”
- You identify and clearly communicate key insights, supported by data/logic, at an appropriate level of detail
- You participate effectively in meetings and are comfortable in discussions with senior executives
- You create/deliver effective presentations, utilizing audience-appropriate storytelling and visualizations
-You are a team player who exhibits professionalism and respect for others
- You work effectively in a team environment, leveraging strong interpersonal skills, a consistently positive attitude, and respect for your coworkers to increase the performance and satisfaction of those around you
- You offer effective 360-degree feedback and enjoy teaching and supporting the development of others
- You regularly identify realistic opportunities to improve the team experience for everyone