In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 150+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, North Carolina, and Dallas.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!
As an Associate on a lean, cross-functional team, you will work collaboratively with a diverse set of colleagues with backgrounds in Private Equity, Investment Banking, FP&A, Big 4 and Financial Controllers, to identify and rectify issues across a broad range of scenarios. This is a Full Time role and will be working remote for the first 6 months.
The following representative engagements are emblematic of the type of work you’ll do as an Associate at Accordion:
- A financial services company recently emerged from bankruptcy and underwent changes in ownership. They need additional visibility into company-wide financial and operational performance. You are brought in to:
- Determine data availability and reliability and design a structured process to aggregate relevant data sets that will serve as the foundation of all future reporting
- Work with the CFO, Sponsor, and Operating team to understand business drivers, verify KPIs, and establish a single source of numerical truth via monthly reporting packages
- Develop a reporting cadence and automated processes that combine sound data flows and insightful KPIs to generate a monthly Board and management reporting packages
- Train the existing FP&A team to run and own process flows and forecast analysis tools
- A higher education enterprise that scaled up through a series of acquisitions requires a budget plan, better forecasting tools, and insightful analytics to guide decision-making. You are brought in to:
- Complete a diagnostic deep dive to identify anecdotes, root causes, and key corrective themes in the existing budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Quarterback comprehensive budget plan and process in partnership with FP&A, sales, operations, and senior leadership teams.
- Build out and maintain 13 week cash flow forecasts by coordinating with the relevant departments within the company.
- Leverage PowerQuery and PowerPivot for structuring, analyzing, and modeling data within Excel. Despite back-end complexity, you deliver reports that remain user friendly for the CFO, FP&A team and other relevant stakeholders.
- Following the acquisition of three stand-alone businesses, a PE Sponsor has identified the need to consolidate operations and establish a singular finance function that will own budgeting, financial reporting, bank reporting, and new CFO on-boarding in order to realize the synergies identified in their investment thesis. Get ready to:
- Design a singular finance function that can serve all three businesses; including headcount, budget, and specific roles and responsibilities for each member of the team.
- Assist in developing a highly detailed, week-by-week training plans for each team member.
- Select and implement a robust ERP solution which meets the needs of the newly combined business.
- Build analytical tools, create template reporting.
- You are agile, resourceful, and intellectually curious.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or economics. A Master’s degree (MBA, MA in Finance etc.) is even better.
- You have 3 years+ experience at a top tier private equity firm, investment bank and/or consulting firm.
- You possess strong quantitative skills, are highly organized and pay extreme attention to detail.
- You are able to leverage Excel to manage, simplify, analyze and present large and complex datasets.
- You have very strong financial modeling and corporate valuation skills.
- You can prepare reports, presentations and memos put your thoughts into writing in a clear, succinct and comprehensive manner.
- You demonstrate good judgement, take initiative and seek guidance when needed in order to advance your projects.
- You are driven and motivated and adhere to the highest professional standards in working with clients and colleagues.
- You communicate well with colleagues, clients and other external parties alike.
- You can put together a powerful PowerPoint deck on Tuesday and present it to senior management on Wednesday.
- You have a moral compass; high integrity is non-negotiable.
Accordion Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.