About BFA Global
BFA Global is a consulting firm that applies financial and digital innovation, venture building, and investment expertise to improve the resilience and wellbeing of underserved people globally. We leverage global expertise and local knowledge to craft and scale solutions, and catalyze innovation ecosystems, partnering with leading public, private and philanthropic organizations, for a more inclusive and sustainable world. Founded in 2006, BFA Global is headquartered in Boston and Nairobi, with additional offices in Medellín and New Delhi. We have a presence in Johannesburg, Lagos, Accra, Madrid, Mexico City, London, and Paris.
BFA Global is an exciting and rewarding place to work, offering a range of opportunities to have an impact. The team is curious, collaborative, agile, and risk-taking, constantly seeking to improve to better support policymakers, financial institutions, startups and innovation ecosystems in emerging markets. We foster an entrepreneurial environment where we can learn, work with purpose and autonomy, and help each other grow.
About the Role
This position will report to BFA’s Chief Innovation Officer and work closely with colleagues on projects focused on climate resilience, digital finance, entrepreneurship support and beyond. This role will spearhead and support projects, as well as facilitate new strategic initiatives to help the organization meet its near-term objectives and pursue its long-term mission in sustainability and Climate Action. You’ll prioritize goals and projects, organize workflows for new initiatives, leveraging the right resources across BFA and our extended networks to get things done.
What You’ll Do
- Closely collaborate with and support the CIO to amplify his efforts and function as a thought partner; regularly switch between strategic and tactical priorities
- Lead and manage cross-functional initiatives in the Climate Action area of work and others. End-to-end project management will also be required for full autonomy
- Conduct analyses and research in Climate Action and act as a thought partner to develop new initiatives in this area. Examples would be an in-depth analysis of Nature-Based Solutions and innovative technologies, including Machine Learning and Blockchain to pursue climate action objectives
- Prepare agendas and run key team meetings, such as Business Development team meetings and other key projects under the supervision of the CIO
- Oversee accountability of key project deliverables using an OKR framework for initiatives under the direct supervision of the CIO
- Conduct open-ended research, synthesize expansive information, and present actionable insights to launch new initiatives in the Climate area of work and beyond
- Deliver on BFA’s learning agenda by conceiving, co-creating, editing and copywriting blog posts and other publications; also design and document written narratives and visual decks, aiding communication, decision-making and execution across the organization
- Be involved in strategic planning, business development, and fundraising that advance the company’s mission; support proposals and financial models for client proposals and other business development projects
In this role, you’ll gain exceptional insight and drive tremendous impact by:
- Helping us operate. We’re hands-on executing impact projects every day to benefit low-income populations globally. You’ll streamline communication between project teams and the CIO, synthesize and follow up on action items from steering meetings, and help execute operational initiatives.
- Helping us create. We’re constantly incubating new projects and initiatives. For each new project, you might synthesize scientific research papers, ensure market analyses are executed, and drive timelines and objectives that support high-quality decision-making for our leadership team.
- Helping us build the future of BFA. We’re building BFA for the long term. You’ll support the major strategic events that make all that possible. This includes coordinating fundraising activities for BFA’s initiatives, project-managing the company’s long term initiatives, and supporting the CIO with managing networks of talent, investors, corporate partners, and donors.
- 5+ years professional experience in consulting in the Climate Action or related field; knowledge of agriculture insurance, agtech and disaster risk management is a plus
- MBA or equivalent advanced degree, ideally in climate science, sustainability, economic development or related field
- Demonstrated strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and ability to communicate effectively at all levels with multiple stakeholders; comfortable presenting and collaborating with senior executives and board members
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to project manage horizontally across an organization and its multiple functions
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus to fully participate in our Latin America projects
- Startup experience in an operational capacity is a plus, or experience supporting startups via investment funds and accelerators
- Strong passion for social and environmental impact
- Thrives in a fast-paced changing organization