This is an incredibly exciting time to be a part of the Abt team! The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is rapidly growing our domestic health and environment portfolios as we expand our footprint in these thriving markets. As we race into the years ahead, we will continue to serve as a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. If you want to work in a dynamic and collaborative work environment that fosters professional growth and promotes a culture of innovation, thought leadership, technical excellence, and collaboration, Abt is the right place for you!
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Associate Public Health Researcher in its Division of Health and Environment to support public health research projects at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This mid-level position requires quantitative, writing and/or research competencies and skills. It is an ideal position for someone with a strong public health background who wishes to apply their knowledge to a range of research projects. The position is located on CDC’s Roybal Campus.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Designs, plans and implements public health research studies, surveys and investigations
- Conducts data quality checks to identify potential data entry errors
- Evaluates existing surveillance systems using CDC methods
- Analyzes surveillance data to understand public health impacts and economic costs
- Creates and manages study databases, trains users, and develops manuals of procedures to be implemented at data collection sites
- Develops analytic cods for merging and analyzing public health data for statistical analyses
- Summarizes findings in tables, figures and maps and communicates information
- Conducts systematic reviews of literature
- Contributes to manuscripts and presentations for internal and external audiences
- Schedules meetings and coordinates meeting logistics
- Performs other duties as assigned
- May require some domestic and/or international travel
- Masters of Public Health (MPH) OR a Masters of Science (MS) AND at least 2 years of experience in public health field
- Strong academic record required
- Excellent writing and quantitative skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner to and on behalf of clients
- Understanding of federal government policies and programs
- Proficiency with analytic tools and software (e.g., SAS, SPAA, Python, R)
- Background in influenza research
- Knowledge of laboratory testing procedures
- Previous experience working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- BA/BS (3 – 5) OR MA/MBA (Entry Level) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this position will be based as a telecommuter for the foreseeable future. Only when Abt reopens offices to all employees will there be an expectation that new hires return to the geographical office to which they were hired.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.