Monthly Donor Engagement Intern
Anticipated dates: July 2021 – August/Sept 2021
Based remotely, you’ll be guided by and receive support from Beth Schmieg (Director of Development Operations). For 12 weeks you’ll intern approximately 20 hours per week.
Simply put, your scope/purpose/goal will be to develop and maintain relationships with donors who give monthly to Alight, and work with the Donor Services and Campaign teams to build ongoing communication and acquisition plans. Here are some of the specifics:
· Initiate personal touch points with every monthly donor, by email, phone or mail – thanking them for their support and surveying giving motivations and preferences (approx. 1200 donors). Engage in conversations and enter feedback into donor tracking system.
· Reach out to lapsed monthly donors, attempting to reengage or offer new giving strategies to reactivate their monthly gift (approx. 500 donors)
· Research and learn from industry standards, experts and existing resources to craft an ongoing communication and fundraising plan for monthly gifts. This can take any form and is a place to explore and make your mark!
· Track your progress. Create giving reports that show donor behavior, track feedback and donor touchpoints into donor tracking system, and onboard team to new tools to carry forward into the future.
What you’ll gain
A sense of the purpose, motivation and individual responsibility that motivates every donor to give, along with a sense of appreciation to the variety and breadth required to maintain fundraising campaigns. You’ll also hone your communication skills and define a legacy by creating tools that the team can carry forward for future success. You’ll have professional development opportunities including resume review, a mock interview, and options to learn from other staff across the organization. Lastly, you’ll be part of a professional network of peers as you join a cohort of Alight summer interns in serving with various teams across the organization.
Skills and experience we’re seeking
- A compassionate listener and incredible communicator: 90% of this job is about reaching out to donors and engaging with them where they’re at.
- Someone who is dedicated and self-motivated, aware that the majority of their work is independently managed and measures success in tiny increments (ie one donor reached out of every 25 contacted; one gift increased $1 more per month).
- Detail oriented and data-minded – someone who is as comfortable talking to a donor on the phone as they are tracking the notes of the conversation afterward.
We are proud to work on borderless teams. We bring on great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of refugee, immigrant, or other displaced communities to join us.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment or internship without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.