Paid Internship Opening:
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks an intern for its transportation program to assist with research on efficient transportation at the city level and new ways to fund sustainable transportation. ACEEE acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
Position Description: This internship will support two projects: the ACEEE City Clean Energy Scorecard and the production of a fact sheet on alternatives to the gasoline tax for funding sustainable, low carbon transportation. As part of the Scorecard team, the intern will work with transportation program members to collect and analyze data on vehicle efficiency and transportation system efficiency policies for 100 of the largest cities in the United States. Additionally, the intern will help conduct research for a fact sheet on alternatives to the gasoline tax that can be used to fund clean, efficient transportation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Search literature and media articles for information on alternative sustainable transportation funding sources at the federal and state levels to be published in a fact sheet. Summarize findings from literature in a brief review and identify funding mechanisms to be showcased in fact sheet.
2. Assist with writing and editing related to the transportation funding fact sheet
3. Collect data for the transportation chapter of the City Clean Energy Scorecard through desktop research and engagement with city-specific contacts.
1. Undergraduate student in a relevant field or possesses a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
2. Interest in and/or experience with transportation issues as they relate to energy and climate
3. Coursework in transportation policy, public policy analysis, environmental studies, urban planning, energy policy, and/or economics
4. Strong writing abilities
5. Fluency with Microsoft Office suite and the ability to manage and coordinate large datasets in Excel.
6. Self-motivation, fast learner, highly detail oriented, and ability to balance multiple assignments (as needed), work efficiently, and meet deadlines.
Timing: This internship will run for about 10 weeks between October and December 2020, with the potential to be extended into 2021. The internship will require a time commitment of 20 hours a week and will be remote. Preferred start date is ASAP.
To Apply: Please send a resume with cover letter and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Transportation Program Internship” in the subject header. We do not accept calls about our internships.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.