Do you love the arts? Have a passion for young people and education? Join ASTEP’s programs team this fall and make an IMPACT! College credit and stipend available.
The Programs Intern will play a key role with the ASTEP arts education programming and operations. They will work with the Programming, Development, and Communications teams and will play an active role in collaboratively implementing our programming across the globe. This is a virtual position. Expected contribution of approximately 10 hours per week.
This year, ASTEP celebrates its 15th year anniversary and impacting the lives of over 20,000 young people around the globe through the arts. Founded in 2006, ASTEP cultivates community, creative capacity, and courage in young people through the arts experiences across multiple genres. We deeply believe in the potential of the youth we work with, and are genuinely excited about the opportunities we create with them. The ASTEP team amplifies joy, collaboration, and communication and supporting the success of each of our individual staff members.
ASTEP’S COMMITMENT TO ANTIRACISM AND ANTI-OPPRESSION
ASTEP is committed to antiracism and anti-oppression as a foundation for all areas of our organizational operation. We engage in both formal (training, consultancies) and informal practices (book clubs, shared leadership models) to continue to interrogate supremacist behavior in ourselves and our organization. We are committed to seeking staff members and teaching artists that are representative of the communities we serve, therefore cultivating a sense of belonging across diverse populations is crucial to our success.
- Support the Programs team with virtual workshops and residencies
- Support the creation and distribution of ongoing ASTEP programs, including hand-delivered Creative Activity Kits and weekly pre-recorded videos
- Help with inputting new Teaching Artists into ASTEP’s database, and cleaning up old data entries
- Contribute to Teaching Artist appreciation and development efforts
- Attend and contribute to weekly Programs team meetings.
Ideal candidate has:
- Interest in nonprofit work, community building, and arts education
- Strong writing and communication skills (English or Spanish preferred)
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- A strategic mindset
- Experience working with Google Suite
- An interest in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion implementation and anti-racism and anti-oppression educational frameworks.
- Cultural competency relevant to the specific populations ASTEP serves
- Basic video editing and/or graphic design skills, a plus
We are committed to the health of our employees, and are working remotely until it is deemed safe to return to a busy office environment in midtown Manhattan. ASTEP provides support for remote working situations as needed. If interested in in-person experiences, all interns must be fully-vaccinated and submit regular negative PCR tests prior to visiting the office.
Artists Striving to End Poverty provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status.