About Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO)
ASSOCIATION FOR ENTERPRISE OPPORTUNITY (AEO) is the leading voice of innovation for microfinance and microbusiness. Our mission is to create economic opportunity for underserved entrepreneurs throughout the United States. We engineer transformational change through research, convening, incubation, and advocacy to foster a robust and inclusive marketplace. For more than 30 years, AEO and our 2,700+ member organizations have helped millions of entrepreneurs support themselves and their families while contributing to their communities through business ownership.
Position Summary and Goals
AEO seeks a Graduate Research Assistant to join their growing Research Division under the Department of Data and Analytics. Responsibilities and tasks for this position may vary from pulling and analyzing data (both qualitatively and quantitatively) from publicly available datasets, systematically cleaning datasets, contributing to reports for funders, developing and testing logic flows in various software programs for survey design, drafting and editing surveys for programmatic and research purposes, contributing to the design of monitoring and evaluation strategies, and helping establish systems within the division to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Ideal candidates are flexible, eager to learn, and persistent problem solvers. The Graduate Research Assistant will report to the Research Associate. This position has the potential to be considered for future employment after a successful internship has concluded at the end of the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Current graduate student enrolled in the 2021-2022 academic year
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Either strong Excel skills (including Pivot Tables, PowerPivot, Data Analysis Packages, and Power Query) or experience with statistical software such as SPSS, R, or STATA
- Previous research or monitoring and evaluation experience, either academic through writing a thesis or capstone, or culminating research proposal / project OR professional experience with research or monitoring and evaluation efforts
- Interest in entrepreneurs, small, and medium size businesses
- Interest in social and economic justice
- Problem solver: somebody who seeks solutions to presented problems, but isn’t afraid to ask for help when needed
- Self-starter: somebody who generates and contributes higher-order thinking or thought leadership and proactively contributes to the conversation by providing insight
- Both the ability to work independently and to contribute as a team player: ability to work remotely without direct oversight and contribute to the team’s overall goals and priorities
- Planning and management: ability to manage one’s own time and to manage up expectations
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to listen thoughtfully, contribute to discussion, and facilitate dialogue among various program stakeholders
Timing, Hours, and Compensation
- This position may leverage paid internship opportunities through your academic institution (e.g. work-study programs); otherwise, the hourly rate for this position us negotiable
- Although this is a flexible and remote position, applicants should be available to work 10 – 20 hours per week between 9am and 6pm ET
- Availability for the 2021-2022 academic year (Fall and Spring semesters)
Applications should include the following
- Unofficial transcript (may include a downloaded unofficial transcript or screen shot of previously completed and current course load)
- A brief writing sample (from previous projects including: coursework, homework, or a blog-post) of 1 to 3 pages that summarizes or leverages public dataset(s). Datasets may include, but are not limited to the following: Census Tables, World Bank Tables, World Health Tables, and Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Interested applicants should email application materials (see above) to email@example.com.
AEO is clear of its vision to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.