BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
A Core Tax Services Associate is responsible for utilizing his or her educational background as well as communication and organizational skills by assisting with the preparation of tax returns and research. In this role, the Core Tax Services Associate will be charged with utilizing basic research skills and working with tax software applications to complete simple tax returns for review.
Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (“TQM”).
– Applies understanding of client’s unique set of circumstances, documentation, and/or other requirements mandated by law and prepares required filings (tax returns) using a system of review and documentation to ensure that the client is in full compliance, while keeping the client’s tax and reporting burden’s as low as possible;
– Ensures all data needed to comply with filing requirements are collected; identifies and properly communicates missing items to prepare return;
– Utilizes Firm compliance software to maximize efficiency in tax prep process
– Effectively teams with Senior on completion of project (follow-up with Open items list;
– Documents all significant tax positions;
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
– Assists with prep and/or review of income tax provisions;
Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
– Applies knowledge of home state corporate, partnership and individual tax structure and filing requirements in completing assigned work;
– Effectively drafts clear and concise general memorandums and correspondence;
– Identifies potential relevant tax issues or opportunities as part of the tax compliance process.
Other duties as required
– Bachelors degree in Accounting or other relevant field required
– Masters in Accountancy or other relevant field preferred
– Leadership experience preferred
– Accounting based internship preferred
– Must be eligible to sit for the CPA exams upon starting employment required
– CPA preferred
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Other Preferred Knowledge, Skills Abilities:
– Strong written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to follow instructions as directed
– Ability to work effectively in a team setting
– Takes appropriate actions without being asked
– Seeks advice of appropriate superiors regarding issues related to compliance
– Ability to prepare simple tax returns