- Final graduation dates must be listed on resumes. If students are not pursuing their MS or in the PPA program, they must indicate whether or not they will be CPA eligible upon graduation.
- Students should apply to either the tax or audit internship- whichever they are most interested in. Please do not apply for both.
- BDO does not sponsor international students. Students must be able to work in the US even at the internship level.
- Students need to apply through Bauer Gateway AND BDO.com
Interviewing for this position will begin in June 2021.
Candidates who receive an offer for our 2022 internship program will also be invited to attend our 2021 Pathway to Success summer leadership program!
Job Summary :
BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
BDO is a place for energetic self-starters who can think and act like entrepreneurs. The Core Tax Services Intern will be responsible for utilizing his / her educational background as well as organizational skills in the service of firm’s client base through the preparation of returns and extensions under the supervision of more experienced Core Tax Services professionals. This opportunity will allow you to gain a unique hands-on perspective on our firm’s practices and people, as well as beginning to forge the critical relationships that will help maximize your chance for success in your career.
Essential Duties/Functions :
Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (“TQM”).
– Effectively uses referencing system and workpapers that ties to the return
– Completes tasks and organizes file to minimize rework by reviewer;
– Ensures data is collected to comply with filing requirements;
– Takes initiative on impending due dates/engagement letters
– Works with tax software applications to complete simple tax returns for review
– Performs quarterly estimates and prepares extensions
– Assists with responses to notices from the Internal Revenue Service
– Assists in the projection of year-end filings
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
– Assists with components of income tax provisions.
Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
– Operates online research tools to gather pertinent tax information;
– Monitors tax law and client factual developments on a regular basis, daily or weekly but at least bi-weekly;
– Develops and communicates to client service team personnel, viewpoints regarding how those developments might affect clients;
Other duties as required
– Enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters program in Accounting or other relevant field required
– Pursuing a masters degree in Accounting or other relevant field preferred
– Must have a graduation date of Spring 2022 or later and plan to graduate with 150 credit hours minimum
– 3.0 minimum GPA
– Leadership experience preferred
– Actively pursuing school credits to become a CPA
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Other Preferred Knowledge, Skills Abilities:
– Strong written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to follow instructions as directed
– Ability to work effectively in a team setting
– Positive attitude and willingness to learn
– Seeks advice of appropriate superiors regarding issues related to compliance