Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg’s unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
Bloomberg Associates is an international consulting service founded by former New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg as a philanthropic venture. We provide pro-bono services to mayors to help city governments improve the quality of life of their citizens. Although we are a philanthropic enterprise, we function and work as a private-sector management consulting firm.
Directed by a team of globally recognized experts and industry leaders, Bloomberg Associates works to improve urban environments by collaborating with cities to develop actionable best practices, build consensus and foster key relationships. With experience in both the public and private sector, the Bloomberg Associates team is well-equipped to undertake any short or long-term municipal challenge. Through its guidance and mentorship, Bloomberg Associates delivers actionable insights and plans across multiple disciplines. For each City engagement, Bloomberg Associates offers expertise across eight disciplines:
- Social Services
- Digital Strategies
- Medial & Tech
- Municipal Integrity & Transparency
- Cultural Assets Management
- Marketing & Tourism
- Urban Planning
Bloomberg Associates seeks a GIS fellow based in New York to work remotely for six months to assist the Sustainability Practice in the development of geospatial data and maps to advance BA client projects spanning a variety of topics, including climate adaptation, solar development, anti-displacement, and equity tree planting. This role will be part-time, ranging from 15 – 20 hours per week.
- Determine data needs to build out maps and other analysis to convey most effectively needed information
- Conduct analysis of social, environmental, and economic data (and proxies) to support policy design and implementation.
- Develop high-quality maps and graphics that accessibly analyze and communicate needs and opportunities and support policy recommendations.
- Draft and prepare written materials for internal and external audiences with quick turnaround such as Power Point presentations, memos, talking points, social media posts or web content, white papers, and summary reports
- Help organize meetings with different audiences and support presentations of GIS data.
- Organize and disseminate research finding throughout the organization
We seek dedicated, curious individuals with outstanding research, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Other qualifications include:
- An undergraduate degree or graduate with demonstrated academic successes
- Experience of carrying out independent research and a track record of producing communicative map outputs
- Proficiency in GIS, In-Design, Illustrator, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- 2-5 years of internship /professional experience
- Outstanding written and oral communication abilities including editing, presentation development, and fast and effective research capabilities
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills including an ability to learn new topics quickly
- High levels of organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and develop new skills on the job
- Ability to collaborate effectively with others and build effective partnerships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to a collegial, team-oriented workplace
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.