Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use our products every day to find great books, and our service empowers thousands of leading publishers and authors to drive sales and find new fans. We’re expanding our team to address the challenges and opportunities of the publishing industry while continuing to help readers find stories and authors they’ll love. Check out BookBub and our audiobooks retailing platform, Chirp, and learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
The entire BookBub team is currently working remotely, and this position will be onboarded and work remotely during this time as well. Our team values the health and safety of our people above all else, and though we hope to return to the office as soon as it’s safe to do so, we are continuing to work distributedly for the foreseeable future. This position will work regularly from our office in Cambridge, MA when we are able to safely return.
About the position
BookBub is seeking an analytically-minded individual to help manage the day-to-day accounting at a dynamic startup. This person will report directly to the Controller and will be responsible for supporting a small team as part of a rapidly growing business. This role will also involve collaboration with teams across the company, including Data Analytics, Business Development, Consumer Marketing, and Engineering.
Here’s what someone can expect to accomplish in their first year:
- Maintain, reconcile, and analyze detailed records of day-to-day accounting
- Document, improve and implement accounting processes and procedures
- Assist with the completion of month-end and year-end closes, including preparing journal entries, reconciliations, and supporting schedules
- Play a critical role in the preparation of supporting documents and analysis for the annual financial audit and income tax preparation
- Perform financial analysis projects for company leadership and department managers
- Aid in the preparation of in-depth budgets and forecasts to inform strategic decision-making
- Identify and perform self-directed research related to problem-solving and optimization of the company accounting process
Ideal candidates for this position will have:
- Relevant experience in corporate accounting or auditing
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field, or comparable experience
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to synthesize, visually represent, and present data and the results of models
- Technically proficient in spreadsheets and Excel
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with QuickBooks, SQL, and Looker a plus
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid parental leave, and take-what-you-need paid time off.
Our interviewing philosophy:
Our goal is to get to know you in a low-pressure, friendly environment — and to give you ample opportunity to learn more about us, too.
Our typical process includes these types of experiences:
- A resume screen and introductory phone/video chat
- A take-home exercise where you’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate your communication and problem-solving skills
- Additional conversations with your potential future team members, the hiring manager, and People Operations
We personally review every application, and if we think there might be a fit, we’ll typically reach out via email within a couple weeks to start the conversation.
We will always do what we can to be flexible around your personal time commitments, deadlines, and general availability. We know that by joining our interview process, you’re trusting us with your time — so we’ll do our best to run a process for you that’s as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Your interview experience:
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.