About BRAC USA
Based in New York, BRAC USA is the North American affiliate of BRAC. BRAC USA provides comprehensive support to BRAC around the world by raising awareness about its work to empower the poor in 11 countries and mobilizing resources to support programs. BRAC USA works closely with its international counterparts to design and implement cost-effective and evidence-based poverty innovations worldwide. BRAC USA is an independent 501(c)(3) organization.
About the position
BRAC USA seeks an intern with exceptional communication skills and a career interest in international development, digital marketing, or communications to help build brand awareness and mobilize resources for BRAC programs. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker, a fast learner, and possesses a passion for storytelling.
Reporting to the Digital Marketing Director, the Communications Intern will work as an integral part of a small, highly effective communications team, and will also liaise closely with fundraising and program teams.
This is a paid, part-time internship. The ideal candidate will be able to work remotely 15-20 hours per week, preferably Monday – Thursday. This internship will begin on or about February 1, 2021 and will continue for 15 weeks.
Content creation – Create stories, blog posts, and visual content to illustrate BRAC’s programs, successes, and thought leadership; support creation of monthly newsletter; draft reports on new program developments for crowdfunding sites; support program teams with communications requests for prospective and existing donors.
Social media – Support management of social media calendar, promoting special events, media coverage, program needs, and appeals schedules.
Digital fundraising – Support mail, email, and social media campaigns; monitor digital fundraising efforts including Google Analytics, Adwords, social media conversions, etc.; assist with website updates; help manage CRM database.
Public relations – Support communications team to achieve public relations goals, including through press releases, journalist relationship management and stewardship, supporting efforts to place op-eds and other earned media in mainstream and development sector publications, and measuring public relations efforts.
- Academic undergraduate major in Communication & Media Studies, Journalism, English, Public Relations & Advertising, Publishing or related fields preferred
- A demonstrated passion for international development and BRAC’s mission
- Ability to manage tasks in a fast-paced, team-oriented (virtual) environment
- Flexible and able to work remotely, independently and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Deadline and task-oriented
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Ability to adapt writing to a variety of audiences, from the technical to everyday
- Some familiarity or experience with communications or public relations
- Some familiarity with digital marketing and fundraising strategies, tools, and best practices
- An understanding of social media strategy
- Design and layout proficiency a plus, particularly with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems a plus
How to apply
To apply, please upload a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (e.g., class paper or another example of writing ability) by January 15, 2021. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with preference given to early applicants.
BRAC USA offers academic credit where permitted.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States for any employer. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No calls, please.
BRAC USA values a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.