Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Our Retail Organization provides carbon management and energy efficiency strategies to commercial, industrial and residential clients while providing competitive electricity prices. For our commercial and industrial customers, we use a sustainable business process that enables data-driven decisions evaluated through a balanced emphasis on governance, cost, risk, carbon and reporting. This approach, we term Sensible Sustainability™, highlights how well-balanced decisions are informed by systematically evaluating each of the criteria in the light of powerful analytical tools to find the best overall outcome.
Description of Role: Retail Intern Indirect Sales (Summer 2022)
If you are highly self-motivated and believe you would enjoy the reward of helping commercial or industrial customers navigate complex energy markets to better understand and strategize about their energy consumption patterns and practices, then you may be a candidate for an indirect sales internship.
In this role you will work with Indirect Sales team to develop pricing models, analyze and review data ensuring accuracy, interface with customers to resolve or avoid issues, and monitor the deal life cycle to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
Potential Job Responsibilities
• Sales Support
o Learn how to process commercial sales opportunities from initial request to deal close
o Assist in resolution of customer requests and issues (billing, enrollment, etc.)
o Assist Sales with reporting and analysis
o Heavy focus on data base application including Salesforce (CRM), inRetail (pricing platform) and RM (billing platform)
o Learn the life cycle of a deal from a structuring/pricing role
Process historical data requests
Review historical data to help structure product offer specific to each client
Assist Sales when needed to help better describe product detail to potential clients
Confirm/close deal economics when a contract is signed
Exact summer projects will be determined at the time of the commencement of the internship.
Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a quantitative or analytical field, such as business, mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or physics.
• Must have at least two years of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship. Graduate students also encouraged to apply.
• Minimum GPA 3.0
• Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
• Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, VBA, Python, or similar programming environments
• Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines
• Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.
• Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems
• High degree of enthusiasm and drive
• Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others
• Good problem solving and analytical ability
• Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
This job will be in an office 5 days a week and is in Houston TX.
Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.