Will assist with developing and maintaining statistical and fundamental models to identify trading opportunities that can be applied on the power, gas and environmental trading desk in the West Region. Will assist with monitoring variables that influence pricing, availability, and reliability of power resources. Will assist with monitoring and analyzing portfolio performance to identify trading, optimization of existing contracts, and other commercial opportunities.
Will assist with analyzing the current market and competitive conditions. Will assist with analyzing and evaluating complex energy transactions to ensure that all relevant aspects of the transaction including price, transmission, delivery point, product, counterparty, and other contractual terms are favorable to the portfolio and consistent with company guidelines for risk management.
• Assists portfolio managers in solving operational problems and associated technical issues; modifies existing tools, techniques, and processes.
• Will develop, update, and maintain analytical tools used by traders
• Will gain knowledge of power and capacity markets with an emphasis on the California Independent System Operator.
• Will gain an understanding of the regulatory dynamics for power.
• Will gain strong presentation skills; able to present complex subject matter in a clear, logical, and convincing way.
• Will gain project management skills; able to work across multiple disciplines to achieve optimal results.
Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a quantitative or analytical field, such as business, mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or similar at an accredited college or university.
Candidate skill set and qualifications should cover the following topics:
• Must have at least 60 hours of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship.
• Minimum GPA 3.3
• Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
• Demonstrated aptitude applying Microsoft Excel as an analytical tool; knowledge of other programing tools is a plus
• Able to work autonomously
• Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power or utility sector, is a plus
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must
• Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems
• High degree of enthusiasm and drive
Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.