Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our fleet of 76 power plants in operation and under construction represents approximately 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and our retail businesses, we serve customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Our clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned):
The Retail Rotation Analyst role is a unique opportunity to learn from the ground up and work in Retail Energy. In this entry-level, full time job you will gain experience in a variety of business functions over a 24 month period. Rotating through 6, four month assignments across our Retail platform, you will work with top energy professionals on a variety of assignments including aspects of developing, pricing and selling sustainable energy products, understanding the life cycle of a client contract, and working with data to create models that provide value-driven products.
If you enjoy solving complex problems in a team environment, then this may be for you. Rotation assignments are designed to provide broad, hands-on exposure to many aspects of our sales, marketing, structuring, analytics, and service areas, leaving participants with an overall view of our business. After successful completion of this 2 year program, participants are assessed and placed in an appropriate Retail business group.
Analysts work closely with senior staff members and management to support research and conduct analysis through conducting complex modeling, financial analysis and business risk assessment assignments and projects. Assignment may include opportunity to:
• Analyze potential renewable power purchase agreements for integration into traditional supply transactions
• Research potential de-carbonization strategies for large Fortune 500s
• Assist with Renewable Portfolio Standards tracking and reporting at the state level
• Analyze Retail and Wholesale deal flow differences
• Validate market curve prices and communicate discrepancies
• Construct Load Forecast Models
• Conduct competitive analysis and market segmentation research
• Optimize segment profitability utilizing modern analytical techniques to analyze sales data, trends and strategies
• Price retail power/gas products for Commercial customers
• Bill complex Commercial and Industrial products
• Analyze the impact of environmental and industry regulation
• Research new potential products related to the electrification of the U.S. power grid (e.g., EVs as storage, etc.)
• Complete assignments on time while learning about Retail Energy
• Leverage rotations to develop an end to end understanding of retail power and the value proposition to our customers
• Apply existing knowledge and skills to help teams accomplish their objectives
• Other duties as assigned
In all rotations, participants are expected to make material contributions to the success of the company by analyzing problems, building models, making recommendations, and/or participating directly in discussions on topics that have a significant impact on the financial performance of the company.
• Bachelor degree in Math, Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering, Sustainability or other quantitative field
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and willingness to listen
• Demonstrate proficiency with MS Office applications with emphasis on Excel, Word, and Power Point or Adobe
• Intermediate to advanced Excel and modeling skills required
• Minimum GPA of 3.3
• Must be able to work in the United States without company sponsorship
Relevant Skills and Experience:
• Display strong analytical aptitude; experience with analytical tools such as programming languages or statistical software is a plus
• Strong model-building skills (including Excel skills)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong presentation skills (including familiarity with PowerPoint).
• Should be able to work autonomously and accept responsibility; able to excel under the pressure of multiple deadlines.
• Team player who is used to diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools
This job is located in an office five days a week and will require occasional business travel.
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.