Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our fleet of 77 power plants in operation and under construction represents approximately 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and our retail businesses, we serve customers in 23 states, Canada and Mexico. Our clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Description of Role: Transmission Analysis Intern (Summer 2021)
Support analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to electricity and natural gas markets, transmission analysis, load forecasting, plant operations and dispatch, asset and contract commodity margins.
Support the continued development of:
- Electrical load flow studies associated with Calpine’s use of the electric transmission system.
- Data integrity, data automation, efficiency improvement for Transmission Analytics.
- Power grid network model development and validation
- Calpine’s proprietary production cost model based, LMP market modeling and analytics platform.
- Transmission system studies and market simulations, using power flow programs and market modeling platforms to identify transmission system capabilities and limitations, and determine risks and opportunities for Calpine’s generation assets and commercial positions.
- Hedging and trading activity support through CRRs/FTRs and other market transactions to help optimize Calpine’s portfolio.
- Regular short-term to mid-term market reports and forecasts.
- Other duties as assigned.