Internship Title: Development Intern
Reports to: Grants Manager
Charity Navigator is looking for a talented individual to join our dynamic team as a Development Intern during the summer term. The successful applicant will have a passion for nonprofit fundraising. This individual will learn more about each subset of Charity Navigator’s development operations: Grants, Individual Giving, and Major Gifts.
Charity Navigator interns work hand-in-hand with staff. They assist with projects and processes that offer exposure to all facets of the organization. This is a 10-week paid internship opportunity.
What you’ll be doing:
You will work with a member of the development team to learn more about the day-to-day operations of their area of fundraising. You will spend approximately 3 weeks with each team member. Here’s how you’ll support our development team:
Institutional Funders: You will help collect and organize data to allow Charity Navigator to secure future grants and expand current relationships with grantors. Projects include:
- Build out profiles for our current low and mid-level foundations.
- Create an overview report of corporate grants and the corporate grant landscape related to infrastructure grantees.
- Perform a LinkedIn network deep dive to identify foundation connections to Charity Navigator
Individual Giving: Strategize and execute first-time individual donor stewardship communications to thank donors and warmly bring them into the Charity Navigator community.
Development Operations: You will update key reference documents and learn more about CRM processes and data management. Projects include:
- Update customer support FAQ so that the growing team has a reference document that is easy to use and understand.
- Update ACH, address, and contact name info in FrontDoor for all matching gift companies so Charity Navigator can continue to receive donations in a timely manner and be more green.
- Assist with CRM cleanliness best practices so the development team can remain confident about the accuracy of our records when reaching out to our donors.
Major Gifts: You will learn about the major gift fundraising cycle, including how to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors.
- Conduct prospect research on major donors, including helping identify new prospects within our donor community using our Generosity measure
- Donor Database Re-tagging to re-establish Mid-Level Donors
- Draft outreach materials for high net worth donors and prospects
- Support in preparation for quarterly Donor Expert Group meeting
What we’re looking for:
- Someone who is passionate about research and analytics with an interest in learning about nonprofit fundraising
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Self-starter with an eye for detail and a willingness to learn
- Comfortable working in a small, friendly office environment
- Passionate about the work of the nonprofit sector and Charity Navigator’s mission
- BONUS: You can provide a couple of writing samples (min 250 words; max 500 words) that demonstrate your skills and range
- We’re looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week through the end of August 2021 (flexible between M-F 9a-5p EST) and who is also enrolled in a college or university.
- This position will be remote using Google Meet / Zoom