Business Opportunity Developer
Supporting the businesses in the Specialty Products Division of DowDuPont, the Emerging Innovation team drives growth and value creation by developing early-stage transformational business opportunities throughout the company. We work hand-in-hand with the businesses to (1) identify emerging innovation opportunities beyond our core businesses, (2) rapidly reduce critical uncertainties, and (3) develop and incubate the most promising projects. We help build, sustain, and realize a strong innovation portfolio.
Emerging Innovation is seeking a Business Opportunity Developer to play a leading role in identifying and developing these business opportunities, taking concepts from ideation through incubation investment. You will be a serial entrepreneur and support other entrepreneurs across the company in creating and maintaining a strong pipeline of early-stage ventures.
The Business Opportunity Developer is primarily responsible for developing strong business cases for incubation investment of emerging opportunities. You will take ownership for innovation outcomes by engaging early-stage concepts in lean innovation approaches resulting in feasible business models and go/no-go investment decisions. Working collaboratively with the businesses, you will be responsible for identification and de-risking of critical commercial and technical uncertainties through research, analysis, and market-facing business development. Business Opportunity Developers shepherd opportunities into incubation, and support opportunities in navigating incubation.
In addition to the above, the Business Opportunity Developer is responsible for contributing to and/or managing domain-focused discovery projects working with company innovators who are generating a continuous flow of early-stage opportunity concepts.
The Business Opportunity Developer is responsible for:
- Creative design and shaping of emerging innovation opportunities to be truly transformational for both customers and for the businesses.
- Establishing compelling business cases that will enable clear decision making by innovation governance bodies.
- Identification and rapid reduction of opportunity uncertainty – both commercial and technical – to maximize the likelihood of success and persist, pivot, or terminate as appropriate.
- Assessment of market needs and development of proprietary market insights on emerging industry trends that inform development and analysis of opportunities.
- Driving engagements with a large internal and external network of individuals who are relevant to the opportunities being worked on.
- Identifying and substantively discussing new business relationships (that potentially involve new business models) with potential partners and with company leadership.
- Effectively managing projects and project teams to keep efforts aligned and on time.
- Developing and utilizing a myriad of analytical tools and research methods to validate key assumptions and pressure test business outcomes.
- Networking with and supporting innovation leaders in the adoption of lean innovation and leading-edge practices to maximize return on innovation investment.
- Facilitating adoption and advancement of lean innovation systems by understanding the goals, needs, and challenges of innovation leaders across the company.
Key measures of success for a Business Opportunity Developer include quality and quantity of opportunity flow through discovery and incubation, and successful support of leaders and teams pursuing early-stage high-uncertainty innovation across the company.
Proficiencies and Skills
The candidate for Business Opportunity Developer must have a customer-centric and empathic mindset, entrepreneurial work ethic, strong business acumen, and command of leading practices in lean innovation. They will possess the ability to discern if a technology is a source competitive advantage and to articulate the rationale. They must possess strong analytical capability, particularly the ability to identify critical assumptions, develop plans to resolve, and build financial models to qualify new and uncertain business opportunities. They must have a thorough understanding of market segmentation and value chain analysis.
The candidate must be a relentless networker and collaborator, with a bias toward action and one who can take initiative and act independently. They must be comfortable under conditions of high uncertainty, synthesize and act on complex and ambiguous information, and communicate and influence effectively across all hierarchical levels and organizational boundaries. They will be comfortable with leading change and playing a coaching role in support of company growth objectives.
- MBA or equivalent experience (minimum 3 years of experience in market/customer facing positions including marketing and/or business development).
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a science or engineering field
- Broad technical familiarity and aptitude in either the nutrition and biosciences, or advanced materials industry verticals.
- Ability to travel up to 50%.