Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2019 revenues of approximately $9.3 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Do you like learning about new customers and markets? Are you passionate about identifying and understanding changing industry trends and needs? Are you comfortable moving ideas and projects forward, despite not knowing all the answers? If you said YES, then here is an opportunity to address the global plastic waste challenge by connecting dots using Eastman’s unique approach to innovation.
The Market Insight and Strategy (MI&S) Representative will plan, lead and execute critical secondary and primary market research projects for Corporate Innovation’s Platform team charged with commercializing sustainable materials for single use applications. The position is also responsible for providing opportunity development support, project management and team facilitation as appropriate. This MI&S Representative will focus on closing critical information gaps for the team by translating information into strategic insights that feed a pipeline of opportunities that will deliver profitable growth.
• Lead market research projects in support of prospective opportunities, growth platforms, and/or other business sustaining activities.
• Cultivate and maintain a network of secondary and industry resources to expedite knowledge base development.
• Develop in-depth knowledge in target markets. Specific industry knowledge is not required but the ability to quickly develop acumen in these spaces is essential and will enable success.
• Proactively recommend and lead appropriate strategies and methodologies to gain market insight that support and drive growth projects.
• Work with external consultants to determine best fit for project outsourcing; manage relationships through the selection process; manage consultant scope, spend, and deliverables to ensure client needs are met; and ensure final project deliverables are successfully and fully met.
• Translate various sources and research findings into concise findings, implications, recommendations.
• Participate as a team member on Corporate Innovation Stage Gate project teams.
• Support branding objectives through primary and secondary research.
• Maintain a project load that is aligned with key deliverables and expected results
• Meet or exceed project time and budget expectations.
• Use internal and external resources in the most efficient and effective manner to provide market/customer insight within the time frame.
• Develop a market research "road map" to effectively communicate project timing, resource needs, and capacity of resources.
• Become an "expert" on tools, frameworks, and processes in order to facilitate choice-making to drive growth in the organization.
• Clearly articulate information gaps for supported projects so that project resources (internal or external) are aligned and the gaps will be ultimately closed. Do not pursue projects without clear information gaps, expectations, and deliverables
• Continue to build on marketing and strategic skills necessary to support the Corporate Innovation Platform Team while improving efficiency and effectiveness and to develop long-term skills.
BS/BA required, Advanced Degree in Market Research or MBA.
• Work experience desired: New product development and launch, innovation, market research, experience working for a materials company
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-starter able to operate with minimal supervision and a strong ability to drive to results
• Proven hands on secondary research, analyses and reporting.
• Primary and secondary research methodologies, vendor relationship management, organizational, analytical, networking, business acumen, and interpersonal skills are a must.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple, competing priorities.
• Proven track record with demonstrated results of inspiring action from insights leading to significant growth opportunities
• Experience networking across large, matrixed organizations preferred
• Strong organizational skills
• Enthusiastic and motivated to create growth opportunities with significant long-term growth potential
Additionally, the following characteristics are important:
• Project management and leadership
• Results oriented and proactive
• High energy and acts with a sense of urgency
• Collaborative team player
• Creative and flexible
• Honest and ethical
• Strategic thinking
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.