The successful candidate will be an important part of the small FACT Coalition secretariat team and will gain experience with a dynamic coalition focused on reforms high on the priority list of the U.S. government. The Policy Intern will assist in maintaining the Coalition’s daily communications and operations needs. This will include overseeing FACT’s public facing image across social media channels and the website. The Policy Intern will help facilitate the internal coordination of the Coalition — organizing the Coalition’s various working group meetings, planning and organizing public events, recruiting support for joint sign-on letters to various Administration officials and Members of Congress, and following up with Coalition members on various commitments. The Policy Intern will also support the Coalition’s logistical needs. Beyond these day-to-day responsibilities, the Policy Intern will have the opportunity to collaborate with the rest of the FACT staff on policy advocacy initiatives and will take on a long-term policy and research project co-designed with the FACT team.
- Work alongside our Government Affairs team in crafting briefing papers, talking points, and communications with Members of Congress, committees, and their staff.
- Draft a blog that recommends specific policy goals that can be implemented by Congress or the Administration.
- Research and write a background briefing paper for the coalition on an emerging issue.
- Aid in raising the profile of FACT’s policy goals through outreach to written media, where appropriate.
- Develop a front-row understanding of how the executive and legislative branches interact to shape U.S. policy.
- Build a network of policy contacts that will aid in your professional development during your time in D.C.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills, with demonstrated experience in persuasive writing;
- Comfort collaborating with others in various team-based advocacy and writing projects, as well as working independently;
- Strong organizational and logistical skills;
- Proactiveness in communication and problem-solving;
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize information technology platforms (experience with Hootsuite, SalsaLabs, and WordPress preferred);
- Team player who can deliver in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience in organizing successful public events;
- Resourcefulness, and creativity, and intellectual curiosity;
- Some graphic design skills are a plus.
Priority will be given to applicants who can work at least 20 hours a week.