FLUSH seeks a conscientious, organized, and collaborative Strategy & Operations Intern interested in supporting the strategic development of our growing organization. This remote internship is a great opportunity for a young professional to learn about starting and working at a social enterprise and the world of water, sanitation, and hygiene. The anticipated start date is late May 2021, extending through August 2021.
Founded in 2018, FLUSH is a women-owned firm focused on the “WASH” (water, sanitation, and hygiene) sector. FLUSH is a sanitation solutions superhero whose powers include education, advocacy, and consulting. FLUSH boasts a unique set of overlapping technical, process, and educational specialties. Since launching in 2018, we have educated thousands of people about sanitation and supported organizations working in over 20 countries on 11 projects. Working in the US and internationally, our work covers three key focuses:
- building greater public awareness of sanitation;
- developing advocacy initiatives; and,
- enhancing professionalism in institutions working in sanitation.
This internship is an opportunity for an individual interested in entrepreneurship, the environment, public health, and (most importantly) sanitation. Interns will gain valuable hands-on experience and professional skills in this internship, helping the organization develop critical operational components for the business. The intern will work closely with the Founder & Principal of FLUSH. This remote internship is currently unpaid and will include a weekly workload of up to 10 hours.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assessing and planning around risk management;
- Researching potential institutional and individual clients and funders, as well as strategic partners;
- Evaluating revenue models and develop a strategic budget;
- Assisting with developing events, communications materials (including blog posts), and social media campaigns;
- Supporting the administrative and operational requirements for running a startup social enterprise; and
- Representing FLUSH’s mission and values.
FLUSH is open to finding an undergraduate student, graduate student, or young professional to help us over the summer. We anticipate the ideal candidate would have most of the qualifications below:
- A business-oriented mind and experience with budgets, strategic management tools, and creative thinking;
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and able to work independently and collaboratively on a small team;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Keen attention to detail and organization;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks;
- Comfort with software usage including MS Office Suite, Google Drive (sheets, docs, slides, and forms), and Wix;
- Open to giving, receiving, and addressing regular feedback;
- Respectful of confidentiality and privacy; and,
- Positive attitude and ability to work remotely.
FLUSH is a New York-originated organization. As this position is remote, we will consider applicants from anywhere globally. Please note that the intern will need to be responsive during a mutually agreed-upon schedule that considers Eastern Time Zone hours.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
FLUSH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes that a diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures contribute to a rich working environment. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, regardless of sex, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, height, weight, handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If interested in applying, please send your resume with a cover letter (including a schedule of availability) to email@example.com with the subject line “Strategy Operations Internship”.