Fuel Relief Fund (FRF) is the world’s only charitable organization focused exclusively on addressing fuel supply challenges in major disasters. By providing free fuel to affected communities and the aid agencies that support them, we empower disaster survivors to meet basic food and shelter needs and enable life-saving humanitarian activities. To date, FRF has deployed to large-scale disasters in the continental US, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Ecuador, Nepal, the Philippines, Japan, Turkey, Mozambique, and Haiti and has served in a support and advisory capacity in many other complex emergency contexts around the globe. Our success in the field has opened doors to impactful private and public-sector partnerships, as well as international partnerships with United Nations agencies and other humanitarian actors.
FRF has historically depended primarily on individual private donors (including many smaller, one-time donors) for funding. But we are a growing organization and are looking to expand our programs and staffing in ways that require more consistent and larger-scale funding schemes. Over the last few years, FRF has done a significant amount of organizational infrastructure work to standardize our operations and meet quality and accountability standards so that we are eligible for sustaining corporate, foundation and government grants. We’re now ready to begin our grant seeking journey.
FRF is also currently exploring new ways of fundraising online through social media, email marketing and other online fundraising platforms. Our goals are to expand our reach, grow our donor base, and increase donor engagement across the board. This is especially important for FRF now as we come up on the year and a half mark without any in-person fundraising events.
FRF is looking for a Development Intern who will support the growth of our organization through the pursuit of diverse fundraising opportunities, including grants, social media campaigns, virtual fundraising events, and even some small in-person fundraisers. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in a career in nonprofit development/fundraising to gain real world experience in donor management, prospect research, online fundraising, and project management.
As a small organization, FRF offers interns the chance to work on many different kinds of activities/projects and take the creative lead on certain development initiatives. This internship will be entirely remote. You will work with staff in different locations across the US and internationally. Internship hours, as well as start and end dates, are flexible but we do expect a minimum of a 3 month commitment.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the creation and execution of strategic online fundraising campaigns using a variety of social media and and email marketing platforms
- Planning and executing a large-scale virtual fundraising event in lieu of our annual fundraiser
- Researching and identifying prospective funding opportunities and sources
- Analyzing funding reference tools such as annual reports, foundation directories, and IRS 990’s
- Initiating relationships with new prospective funders/grant-making institutions and reaching out with questions/for additional information
- Developing and maintaining a database of relevant foundations, corporations and government funding sources and solicitation requirements
- Creating and maintaining a calendar of funding application deadlines
- Assisting in the creation, collection and organization of documents for an FRF grant application package template and maintaining digital and hardcopy materials
- Developing proposals and drafting inquiries, letters and proposals for funding
- Managing our donor database in Mailchimp (CRM)
- Assisting with other miscellaneous tasks as required should an emergency response deployment occur
Candidates should have:
- At least 1 year of fundraising experience for a nonprofit organization or a group/club or other initiative at an academic institution
- High level of proficiency with social media platforms including fundraising functionalities (donate buttons, ads, etc.) and analytics
- Some grant research and/or writing experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (the ability to clearly articulate FRF’s mission and objectives is essential)
- Must be self-directed and organized and able to work independently with minimal oversight
- English language fluency is required
This is a hands-on position with a dynamic, passionate organization. We would like to find someone who is truly excited about the work and committed to the cause.
For more on FRF, please visit www.fuelrelieffund.org