For 30 years, Futurewise has worked to protect the natural environment by encouraging a sustainable and equitable built environment in Washington State. With the state’s Growth Management Act (GMA) as a lens, we use policy development, advocacy, community engagement, data analysis and legal tools to protect farms, forests and water resources, and encourage livable cities through affordable housing, access to transit, and green infrastructure. To achieve these outcomes, our staff of planners, scientists, lawyers, educators and organizers work with every level of government, within every geographic scale, together with hundreds of local organizations and activists to advance community-based solutions to land-use and environmental challenges.
Futurewise seeks an Events Intern to support our spring 2021 Annual Fundraiser taking place virtually in May 2021. The internship will run from February 2021 through the end of May 2021.
This internship requires a motivated and detail-oriented person, interested in event-specific fundraising and communications. This role is mainly focused on event planning, logistics and execution.
- Assist with the development of all event-related promotional materials including invitations, programs, signage, (collecting logos, photos, bios etc)
- Oversee administration, coordination and oversight of virtual event software
- Manage catering, equipment arrangements
- Manage event database and event registration
- Execute invitation mailings and e-blasts
- Track RSVPs, process payments, and generate acknowledgement letters
- Update sponsorship materials, track sponsor logos;
- Recruit and manage volunteers;
- Generate materials related to registration/check-in
- Provide day of and on-site logistics including event registration and troubleshooting;
- Coordinate the preparation of all post-event correspondence including thank you notes to sponsors, attendees, donors, volunteers and committee members.
This is a small development department in a small and nimble organization, and it is critical that the Events Intern be willing to jump in, learn quickly and go the extra mile. Since development tasks are highly integrated, this person must be both versatile and flexible, able to work well under pressure and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience managing multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously;
- Experience managing engagement, communication and participation on virtual platforms;
- Database management and reporting skills;
Project Location and Salary
This position is a virtual position; however, priority will be given to candidates based in Washington state. This position will be compensated at a rate of $15/hr. Work hour expectations are anticipated to be 10-20 hours per week from home. Flexibility is available during normal work hours (9 am – 6 pm). However, the intern must be prepared and available to increase their hours to 25-30 hours per week for the two weeks prior and the week following the event – including working the day of the event (final date TBD but planned for early-mid May 2021).
How to Apply
Position is open until filled; first consideration will be given to applications received by January 20, 2021. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. At least one reference should also be included with application and/or at the time candidates are chosen for an interview. Please make the subject of your email “(Last Name) – FW Events Intern” and address the cover letter to Hiring Manager. Please label any submitted materials, including the cover letter, resume, and references with your last name. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Futurewise is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in all areas of its operations. We are committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.