The Advancement Operations team at Houston Grand Opera provides high-quality administrative,
technical and financial support to the Opera’s revenue-generating Advancement departments (Fundraising
and Marketing and Communications). We are the go-to resource for a high volume of departmental
requests and needs, and our team is dedicated to delivering consistent outputs with exemplary customer
service, and developing trusted relationships with colleagues.
The Advancement Operations Manager has broad responsibility for the overall daily operation and
maintenance of department functions. The Manager works closely with the Director of Advancement
Operations to help carry out strategic goals by leading administrative, technical, and financial/reporting
efforts. The position is responsible for managing seamless department operations, specifically related to
routine administrative and technical process management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Motivate and provide guidance to the Advancement Operations staff to help effectively perform
routine operational tasks; oversee and assess all daily workflows for maximum efficiency
o Cross-train and serve as back-up on all essential tasks
• Oversee event logistics and coordination for all non-special events
• Collaborate with Company Office to ensure event information is accurate and up-to-date
• Liaise with all vendor contacts
• Serve as back-up with ticket requests/exchanges as needed
• Track event budgets and spending
• Manage benefits management for individual donors – assigning and tracking FMV, managing
fiscal year event calendars, etc.
• Constantly measure and assess department workflow; evaluate efficiencies and problem areas;
work with Director of Advancement Operations to remedy inefficiencies
• Manage special projects within Advancement departments as assigned by Director
• Keep Director apprised of all department activities, efforts, and roadblocks
Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of office management experience required; advanced degree a plus. Must
have a strong working knowledge of databases and standard office systems. Must be available to work
some nights and weekends.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
Must thrive in a fast-paced group setting, be highly organized and efficiency-driven. Self-motivator with
analytical problem solving abilities; confident, experienced decision maker. Detail-oriented individual
with attention to process; sound judgment abilities; successful customer service professional; ability to
manage up, down and laterally; high level of personal and professional ethics.