Position Title: Community Investment Accelerator Intern
Reports To: Investment Analyst, Strategic Investments
Job Classification: Part-Time Paid Internship
Position Location: Remote
Anticipated Start/End Date: October 1, 2021 – January 31, 2022
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 42 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested more than $24 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 37 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to the Bay Area. Visit us at www.lisc.org
About Strategic Investments
The LISC Strategic Investments team leads the design, development, and deployment of impact investment funds in LISC’s local markets and nationwide. Strategic Investments employs an “impact first” investment methodology that optimizes the impact for traditionally underserved communities, while seeking to achieve sustainable risk-adjusted returns for investors.
The unique combination of LISC’s 36 local offices with the strength of our national investment expertise is a powerful tool for creating real impact in the communities we serve. This network requires careful coordination between Strategic Investments, the LISC Local Offices, and other stakeholders. Visit us at www.liscstrategicinvestments.org
About This Role
The Community Investment Accelerator Intern will provide critical support to the Strategic Investments office to amplify our work across several key program areas, including MDI modeling and underwriting and research.
The intern will learn the components of MDI underwriting and analysis, described below.
- Underwrite MDIs, banks, and credit unions
- Analyze and rank MDIs and determine their ongoing need for loan capital or deposits
- Recommend deposits and other investments to the Investment Committee, including preparing investment memos and financial models
- Document underwriting process for MDIs, streamline this process and suggest improvements
- Create tracking sheets for investments and other ongoing projects
- Other activities as they arise
Qualifications specific to job responsibilities
- Candidate must be actively enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program with a concentration or major in finance with an interest in impact investing or community development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent research, analysis, and presentation skills
- This is a REMOTE position; candidates must have reliable access to internet during work hours.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Expert in Microsoft Excel (e.g. if/then statements, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, able to create complex Excel models)
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Investment Accelerator Intern” in the subject line of your email. Please, no telephone calls or unsolicited inquiries.
Interns will not be promised continued employment at the end of the internship.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, & JUSTICE