Description: This multi-talented individual will be a strategic communicator with media relations experience and digital communications savvy who will lead the combined MFC communications media and digital communications teams to develop forward-thinking, proactive communications that tell our business area’s story in a fresh and compelling way. The successful candidate will be an excellent writer and big-picture thinker who thinks outside functional lines and boundaries and uses data and a thoughtful content strategy to lead their team of digital storytellers. This high-profile role will ensure a fully integrated approach to media and digital communications and will work with the entire MFC communications team to ensure a pivot to proactive storytelling for the business. This role reports to MFC’s Senior Manager of Integrated Communications.
• Lead and conduct discovery of interesting and impactful stories from across the business, with a keen sense of what makes a story for news outlets and what’s needed to secure journalists’ interest.
• Develop relationships with key news media via regular, proactive engagement, specifically trade, business and technology media.
• Proactively pitch story ideas on complex topics and coordinate with news media for the best coverage possible, consistent with business objectives.
• Ensure that paid, earned, shared and owned content are aligned.
• Prepare senior executives and other employees for successful media engagements.
• Serve as spokesperson when needed.
• Manage and/or oversee MFC’s media operations, including liaising with Corporate for breaking news/crises, news release strategies and best practices, and media monitoring, reports and analysis.
• Create and implement an overall digital communication and thought leadership plan aligned with MFC’s business strategy and objectives.
• Oversee digital tactics and campaigns that advance thought leadership associated with emerging technologies, the MFC workforce and the MFC employee value proposition.
• Lead a team of 3-4 individuals principally engaged in developing and executing integrated communications plans that include news releases, talking points, fact sheets, response efforts to crises, opinion/editorials, bylined pieces and social and digital content.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or related field
• Familiarity with contemporary communications and industry trends, including social media listening and rapid response techniques
• Exceptional writing, editing and oral communication skills with the ability to convey highly complex information in clear, compelling ways
• Understanding of media measurement techniques, including volume, share of voice and sentiment analysis
• Proficient in AP style
• Able to work on many projects simultaneously and with close attention to detail
• Motivated self-starter who performs without appreciable direction and works effectively under competing priorities and tight deadlines
• Results-driven with an ability to develop and execute communications strategies to achieve desired outcomes
• Prior leadership experience
• Journalism or media experience strongly desired
• Crisis communications
• Prior public relations or public affairs experience, including writing press releases or writing for external audiences
• Strong executive presence and demonstrated Full Spectrum Leadership characteristics
• Proven ability to cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with news media
• Quick study with an attention to detail and a sense of urgency
• Excellent prioritization and time management skills
• Strong work ethic and positive attitude
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.