MCE Social Capital (MCE) is a nonprofit impact investing firm with a mission to unlock capital to empower families living in poverty to build a better future. MCE uses a pioneering blended finance model to leverage the excellent credit of high-net-worth individuals and foundations (Guarantors) to borrow capital from U.S. and European financial institutions and accredited investors. MCE then strategically deploys this capital to small and growing businesses and microfinance institutions in developing countries, with a focus on reaching women and families in rural areas. Since 2006, MCE has disbursed over $240 million in investment capital to 140 institutions in 55 countries across Latin America, SubSaharan Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Caucasus, with current assets under management of $60 million.
MCE is actively exploring how to increase its impact – by sharpening its focus on promoting gender equity, elevating its attention to climate effects and mitigation, and by developing additional financing models. MCE manages two investment portfolios:
• Small and Growing Businesses that create jobs, help smallholder farmers improve productivity and income, and facilitate clean water and energy. MCE seeks to address some of the critical market gaps by providing catalytic loans of $100k to $2 million to support small and growing businesses in the “missing middle”.
• Inclusive Finance, investing in microfinance institutions and other financial service providers that help people living in rural areas gain access to credit, savings accounts, insurance, and business education. MCE provides loans of up to $4 million.
MCE is a growing, dynamic organization with hubs in San Francisco, CA and Barcelona, Spain. For more information, please visit our website and Glassdoor page.
MCE is seeking a Communications & Business Development Intern who will support our communications, marketing and business development efforts. The Communications & Business Development Intern will report to and work closely with MCE’s Senior Business Development Manager as well as support MCE’s Chief Business Development Officer and CEO on special projects as needed.
Internship Start Date and Duration:
The intern should be available to start mid-January 2022, with a minimum commitment of 10 hours/week for the duration of 3-4 months. At that point, there may be a possibility of extension and expansion of responsibilities.
Support external communications and marketing efforts at MCE:
● Draft content by conducting research and using stories, data, and loan disbursement information provided by portfolio and impact analysis staff; disseminate content via social media (primarily LinkedIn and MCE’s blog)
● Draft email newsletters via Mailchimp
● Support the development of our quarterly community webinar series
● Conduct basic video editing for short recorded entrepreneur interviews
● Track and develop reports on social media engagement
● Be an active participant on the business development team, contributing ideas, information, and support to help improve the work and impact of the team
● Support other marketing efforts as needed General support to the business development team at MCE:
● Under the guidance of MCE’s Chief Business Development Officer, research best practices for simple nonprofit planned giving/bequests programs and draft recommendations and an implementation plan for MCE
● Support business development team in preparation for important external meetings (through conducting desk research on new investors, Guarantors, donors, and other stakeholders as assigned)
● Support business development team to plan and prepare for conferences/industry events in the impact investing space
● Create campaigns and input data in Salesforce as assigned
We are looking for a multifaceted individual with a “can do” attitude and a willingness to think outside the box, who is passionate about supporting high-impact businesses and addressing critical needs of underserved populations in developing countries. Candidates should be able to work seamlessly across teams in a dynamic environment, have an entrepreneurial drive, a strong attention to detail, and pride in the quality of their work. Our approach to work, whether with colleagues, partners or clients, is cooperative.
In addition, the following qualifications are necessary:
● Current candidate pursuing a Master’s degree, and at least two years full-time work experience
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
● Strong project management skills and ability to effectively prioritize work across multiple projects
● Comfortable engaging with multiple stakeholders at different levels and tailoring messaging to specific audiences; comfortable interacting with stakeholders across geographies
● Self-motivated team player with the ability to work independently
● Working knowledge of marketing, communications and design strategy and tools
● Ability and interest in learning key, web-based platforms such as Salesforce, Mailchimp and Squarespace
● Fluency in English (written and spoken)
The following qualifications are desirable:
● Proficiency in Spanish and/or French
● Working knowledge of basic video editing skills
● Previous work experience in the impact investing, social entrepreneurship, or international development sectors: experience visiting and/or working in developing countries a plus
**Individuals from diverse backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in
the investment space are strongly encouraged to apply.**
While our US office is located by the Montgomery Street BART Station in San Francisco, CA,
this role can be performed remotely (US citizenship or green card required)
Compensation & Benefits: $25 an hour
How to Apply:
Send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Communications and Business
Development Internship” in the subject line. The cover letter should explain why you are
interested in working at MCE and how this position fits in your career growth goals.
Deadline: Friday, November 19, 2021
Only applicants who meet the requirements will be contacted.