Division/Department: Risk Management
Manager: Director, Risk Management
MEMS is an energy trading company located in the galleria area of Houston, TX. The Risk Management department for MEMS is seeking a Middle Office Analyst for full-time, paid internships during the 2021 summer. The Risk Interns will gain a better understanding of various Risk Management functions and apply their classroom knowledge in a real-world practical setting. The internship program will provide an opportunity to contribute to a fast paced and growing global commodities trading house. The interns will develop skills necessary for future success and postgraduate opportunities in a collaborative environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Gather necessary information to start transactions with new counterparties (i.e. Financial statements, D&B reports, corporate structure).
- On a monthly basis, administer the Credit line application process, renewal of Mitsui Guarantees which are submitted to counterparties, and the request of Mitsui Guarantees which are submitted to new counterparties.
- Produce the Daily Credit Risk Monitoring Report
- Manage the contracts for physical crude and fuel oil
- Support Commercial, Middle Office, Settlements and Accounting teams by timely and accurately verifying transaction details.
- Verify transaction details using Allegro, Right Angle, trade logs, third-party platforms, third-party confirmations for natural gas, NGL, power, crude and petroleum products
Work with traders, brokers and counterparties to resolve discrepancies on confirmations and/or trade specifics
- Assist with other middle office activities as needed.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently or with little or no supervision.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel.
- Proficiency or the ability to effectively demonstrate proficiency with appropriate training with third party software licensed to the Company such as Allegro and Oracle
- Must have refined interpersonal verbal and written communication skills, principally writing skills and telephone communication skills.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in Middle/Back office for energy trading company (natural gas, power, NGL, crude) is preferred.
- Credit background is a plus.
- Must be available for a period of 3 months or longer.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance or related field, or
- Minimum of a 3.25 GPA pursuing a relevant degree
Fluent verbal and written skills in English
- Must be available for 12 weeks from May 17 – Aug 6.
- Must be able to work from home and have access to internet.
- Must have strong communication skills and be responsive when working remotely.
This position description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their leader, subject to reasonable accommodation.
MEMS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.