Division/Department: Risk Management
Manager: Director, Risk Management
MEMS is an energy trading company located in the Galleria/Uptown area of Houston, TX. The Risk Management department for MEMS is seeking one (1) Risk Intern for a full-time, paid internship during the 2021 summer. The Risk Intern will gain a better understanding of various risk management functions and apply their classroom knowledge in a real-world practical setting. The internship program will provide an opportunity for postgraduate or rising college seniors to contribute to a fast paced and growing global commodities trading house. The intern will develop skills necessary for future success and postgraduate opportunities in a collaborative environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Learn the general concepts of risk management for a global commodity trading firm
- Work within and alongside various risk management groups: market risk, credit risk and operational risk
- Review trade confirmations and ensure data integrity through validation and reconciliation of trading data.
- Effectively analyze resolve and/or explain variances.
- Work with Trading, Scheduling, and Back Office teams as needed.
- Complete special projects as needed and other duties assigned
Provide general support to the Risk Management department
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Accountable, self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly organized
- Ability to prioritize, be flexible and to adapt
- Strong desire to learn quickly and to learn continuously
- Strong working knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Must be interested in pursuing career in audit, finance, accounting or risk management in commodities trading.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Postgraduate or rising seniors graduating within 2021.
- Minimum of a 3.25 GPA and pursuing a relevant degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics or a related field of study
Fluent verbal and written skills in English
- Must be available for 12 weeks from May 17 – Aug 6.
- Must be able to work from home and have access to internet.
- Must have strong communication skills and be responsive when working remotely.
This position description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their leader, subject to reasonable accommodation.
MEMS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.