Reports to: Campaign Manager
Location: Candidates can be anywhere in the U.S. This position is fully remote.
Organization: MPower Change is a grassroots movement rooted in diverse Muslim communities throughout the U.S., who are working together to build social, spiritual, racial, and economic justice for all people. Combining cutting edge digital tools with years of field experience, organizing know-how, and an extensive network of supporters, MPower Change is redefining the ways that our communities build, maintain, and exercise power.
About the position: MPower Change is seeking a social media fellow to help execute MPower Change’s digital strategy, drive high-impact campaigns, & grow our audience across platforms.
With the support of the Digital team, the fellow will support on executing the MPower Change social media strategy by building out and maintaining a social media calendar, working closely with campaigners to time campaign launches, sharing from partner toolkits, and regularly sharing content relating to MPower Change issue areas such as fighting white supremacy and Islamophobia, tech justice, racial and immigrant justice, and beyond. The fellow will aim to expand MPower Change’s social media presence by crafting viral content and engaging audiences, influencers, and partners on various social media platforms. The social media fellow will keep their pulse on the news and latest trends, prepared to craft rapid response social media copy as needed. Their responsibilities will also include periodically reporting on social media metrics and analyzing and evaluating content that inspires MPower Change audiences to take action.
The fellow will work closely with MPower Change’s Digital Department to help execute the social media program.
- Manage social media calendar & draft social media content for review – schedule posts in collaboration with campaigners
- Support with updating website content regularly
- Help define and cultivate MPower Change’s “brand” on social
- Strategize on messaging and narrative as it relates to breaking news moments and campaign-related issues
- Learn how to use metrics to reach new audiences and move them from followers to action takers, volunteers, and donors
Strong applicants will have:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in story-telling: a demonstrated ability to translate complex systemic issues and topics into moving, emotional content that people want to engage with and share
- Some background in communications at an organizing, advocacy, political, and/or social justice organization OR experience in journalism, communications, or a related humanities field
- Demonstrated experience and understanding in using social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok
- Experience with graphic design and video editing (Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lucidpress) not necessary but preferred
- Passion for fighting for justice & liberation and using storytelling to build grassroots power
- Familiarity and experience working with Muslim communities
Hiring Policy: MPower Change and its fiscal sponsor NEO Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status. People of color, women, formerly incarcerated individuals, and those impacted by Islamophobia are strongly encouraged to apply.