The National Bonsai Foundation (NBF) is seeking a part-time communications, project and social media intern with the primary objective to maintain and expand its online presence with the goal of recruiting donors and visitors to the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum.
The intern will be responsible for managing the NBF’s social media accounts, assisting in event planning, helping to update the website, and promote NBF and the Museum as we focus on different fundraising and marketing initiatives. This individual will work closely with the Executive Director (and part-time consultants) on social media strategy and will be a contributing member of the team.
The intern will be expected to commit to 15 – 20 remote hours per month, plus regular visits to the Museum. Applicants based outside the D.C. area will not be considered. This is a paid position.
Responsibilities will include, but won’t be limited to:
• Creating and executing content campaigns for the NBF’s Facebook and Instagram channels
• Contributing original content for the NBF website and social media channels by documenting and attending Museum events, interviewing notable figures in the bonsai world, and/or capturing “behind-the-scenes” experiences at the Museum
• Create and distribute a monthly email newsletter and occasional additional email messages to promote special events or fundraising campaigns
• Produce a biweekly editorial plan for the Executive Director
• Produce a monthly digital analytics report for the Executive Director
• Occasional projects as assigned
The ideal applicant will have:
• Extensive experience using social media for professional and/or personal use
• Experience using social media on behalf of a non-profit organization such as a museum
• Strong writing and interpersonal communication skills
• Familiarity with the following programs and services: Facebook, Instagram, WordPress, MailChimp, Eventbrite, YouTube, and Squarespace
• An interest in bonsai, horticulture, Japanese culture, public gardens, and the Washington, D.C. museum scene
•Photo or video editing skills
•Links to portfolio or relevant work
• Writing Sample
• Contact information for 1-3reference(s)
Please send your application to Bobbie Alexander, Executive Director of NBF, at firstname.lastname@example.org