Seeking a program intern who is interested in supporting the mission, vision, and values of the National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles. We are a nonprofit organization in Los Angeles, CA committed to advancing economic justice and equity for women and their families. We do that through direct service programs, we support the passage of laws and policies that ensure economic security, promote dignity in the workplace and expand the safety net for families who are struggling. We have consistently tackled the complex social challenges of the day while filling gaps in the social services needed within our community.
We are looking for an intern who is passionate about advocating for women’s rights and helping empower disenfranchised communities of Los Angeles. If the applicant is not currently living in Los Angeles but has for the majority of their life, lived in LA, we welcome you to apply. Applicants should possess a commitment to progressive change, racial justice, women’s advocacy, and working in a diverse environment. Please note we welcome individuals from all backgrounds, religions, genders, socioeconomic status, and cultures to apply. This internship will be entirely remote.
Opportunities & Responsibilities:
- Conduct research around program development, program content, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Help develop ways to expand digital connectivity for programming and to increase community outreach/awareness.
- Learn about program development and the advocacy process by assisting staff and attending program meetings, professional development meetings, and taking part in Lobby Day with NCJWLA to discuss priority issues for our region.
- Research potential organizations that focus on economic & community development to expand programming development and build ally-ship.
- Assist Chief Program Officer, Critical Response Coordinator, Research & Development Coordinator, Enrichment Coordinator, and Advocacy Program Manager with tasks related to NCJW|LA Programming development and delivery.
- Gain an understanding of working for NCJWLA and what it is like to work for a non-profit.
- Learn about civic engagement, social service programs, guaranteed basic income, and enrichment opportunities through a nonprofit lens.
Primary Duties to Include but not Limited To:
- Support development of Advocacy Training Project, Guaranteed Income Program, Rental Assistance, and Enrichment Programs targeting women in the Los Angeles area through outreach, research, document proofing and drafting, and other administrative duties.
- Execute research about community stakeholders to inform and develop future partnerships whose mission aligns with economic justice and women’s advocacy.
- Assistance of direct service programs through execution phone or email.
- Become familiar with current news in Los Angeles County as they relate to economic justice, community resources, poverty, housing, non-profit programming, community demographics, children, and policy.
- Review and edit documents through Microsoft Office Suite
- Communicate with clients, staff, and external organizations through email and phone to ensure the program team is well supported in delivering program services.
Strong writing and communication skills, ability to learn quickly, and a commitment to social justice issues. No previous professional experience necessary, just a willingness to learn and get involved. Two years of higher education (junior or senior) and can devote 3 days a week minimum (10-12 hours minimum).
- Intermediate computer skills, with an emphasis on Excel, Word, Outlook.