National venture philanthropy firm seeks an Associate Partner to support its Diverse Leaders strategy. This position is based in Oakland, CA.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PreK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable and connected culture where employees at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
The Diverse Leaders team seeks an Associate Partner to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people. You will be a key member of the team, focused on developing a national portfolio of early-stage education entrepreneurs (“ventures”) and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) across the field. To learn more about the Diverse Leaders strategy, please review:
- Unrealized Impact, groundbreaking study we sponsored on the state of diversity, equity and inclusion in PreK-12 education
- Details on our most recent round of investments
- One Associate Partner’s reflections about her first year on the Diverse Leaders team
- Summary of NewSchools’ DEI journey
Your legacy at NewSchools will include a:
1. Strong portfolio of entrepreneurs that have significantly advanced Black and Latino education leadership with your coaching and support. You will:
- Develop a vision for how to support our portfolio of leaders who have a wide range of skills and needs
- Conduct a thorough needs assessment for all new ventures and develop customized management assistance approaches to support the success of each venture
- Execute our management assistance vision by coaching entrepreneurs on a range of topics, such as fundraising and strategy, as well as sharing resources and making connections. Determine the role that other NewSchools team members should play in this work
- Plan and execute community of practice events that bring ventures together for capacity building, knowledge sharing and collaboration
2. Leadership role in supporting NewSchools’ team members as they live out their commitment to DEI across all of their work. You will:
- In partnership with team members, identify key DEI priorities for each team and support them on realizing their vision
- Design and implement team-wide DEI learning to ensure we are equipped to serve as leaders for equity
3. Meaningful contribution to the Diverse Leaders strategy, especially how we influence the field to advance diversity, equity and inclusion. You will:
- Shape how we make DEI a priority across the field, including how we engage funders, advise them on their strategies and inspire them to support diverse leaders and their ideas
- Develop the concept for original research, projects and insights we should share to influence key stakeholders
- Produce public facing content to communicate what we are learning, develop sessions for our annual Summit and other education conferences, and represent NewSchools at events
- Conduct analyses to refine the Diverse Leaders strategy based on what we are learning from our efforts to date
4. Opportunity to shape the future of our Diverse Leaders portfolio as a member of the diligence team. You’ll participate in due diligence on prospective ventures’ ideas, leadership and business plans to help us make strong investment decisions
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Belief that education leaders need to prioritize DEI, and that increased levels of diversity in education will drive improved outcomes for students
- Commitment to NewSchools’ core values
- Strong strategy and communications skillset
- Experience in leadership development and/or adult learning, or as an entrepreneur or coach to senior leaders
- Relationships or network in Black and Latino communities
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and with leaders working remotely, and own high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Working style suited to working in a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience with progressive levels of leadership responsibility
- The ideal candidate will have experience in philanthropy, innovation, entrepreneurship, strategy, adult learning / leadership development, diversity, social justice and/or community engagement
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.